ignoran question from a silent hill fan

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/ignoran question from a silent hill fan

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#1]
hello... I was just wondering if it is possible to program a lighting/shadow engine like the one seen in Silent hill 1&2 for Blitz3d? If so, could someone point me in the right direction? If noone else has done it yet (but thinks ir is possible) could they tell me some terms to looks up... like if there is a special term for the methods used...
that would be a big help... thank you very much and I hope I'm not wasting anyones time.
I just want to do a horror style game... or something that catches the atmosphere of my own artwork...
any help would be much apreciated
you can see my work at:
http://kalisme.deviantart.com/
(if you want to)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#2]
Kal,

You are never wasting anyone's time here!

Look for Sswifty's shadow system. I dont know Silent Hill well enough to know what you mean, but Shawn Swift has a really good shadow system currently available and eay to implement.

IPete2.

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#3]
I don't remember in SH 1, but SH 2 use stencil shadows and I don't think it would be possible (at now) to do that in blitz, but as IPete2 said, look at Swift system for a good solution ...

Paolo.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#4]
Eurythima,

There is a stencil shadow demo - well a first look into the problems encounter with stencil shadows in Blitz3d, on the forum somewhere, but it possibly needs BasicGL or VividGL to be done properly, and both are very new products which there is little information on currently.

IPete2.

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#5]
thank you very much people... I already own a version of Swifts shadow engine... it is a very amazing peice of coding... not what I need but maybe I should read through it a few times for ideas.
I think I have a version of BlitzGL but it doesn't support animated B3d files... does VividGL? If so would it be wise for me to invest in that after I finish my current project? (If I make money from my current project)
so does anyone think blitz3d (with or without userlibs) could pull off a Silent Hill 2 shadow engine?

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'm working on a stencil shadow system now. Stencil shadows do and will work in blitz, and you will easily be able to make shadow volumes of static objects. I'm trying to make the boned meshes cast shadows as fast as possible, but static objects will be no problem for sure.

Edit: Is this the kind of shadows you're after:
www.tomspeed.com/sv.avi ??

Thats stencil shadows at work.

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#7]
Lenn - is that Tom's shadows or yours? They look fantastic!!! Whoever did them - Well done!

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#8]
Uh, its "his" shadows but im using them only that i'll make a command set and routines for building the volumes so that the shadows can actually be created. He just did a DLL which allows us to use stencil shadows, which you can see there, but they are unusable until you can make the volumes on the fly somehow, or at least static ones for geomtery (as you can see in that example).

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#9]
yup... that's pretty much wat I meant:)
so can light sources be moved in realtime? (aswell as the shadow?) that would do nicely :D Oh.. so ur developing an engine to do realtime stencil shadows for animated b3d objects? if so KEWLNESS!!!! I'm very interested :)