Is it worth my time to learn Blitz3D now?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Is it worth my time to learn Blitz3D now?

timmport(Posted 2004) [#1]
I just bought Blitz 3D last month. One of the things that appealed to me is that there was already an established code base and ways of incorporating things like Tokamak. Now that BlitzMax is out should I even bother to spend any serious time on learning and creating for Blitz3D? I bought Blitz3D last month because I wanted to start a serious project but I am not sure that I want to risk my efforts on something that will not convert th BlitzMax or will not be supported very soon.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
Its still worth it to learn it, because BlitzMax will not initially support an engine like you have in Blitz3D. Instead you will have to use OpenGL until you either purcase a 3rd party engine or mark's 3d module which as far as I know he hasn't started on yet.

Also, B3D is a good, gentle introduction to 3D graphics. As far as the serious project thing goes, depends on the project as Blitz3D can do the same thing any Dx7 C program can do. The question is the amount of work you wish to put into it.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
Short answer:
ABSOLUTELY YES!

Long detailed pondering answer:
To learn B3d is not a difficult task, but even after 3 years it never ceases to amaze me how much people are able to push it.

There are many reasons to start or stick with B3d. The support for the format is vast now:

Shadow engines, particles engines, terrain engines, GUI designers galore, the B3d format, Gile[s] for lighting, CShop and Maplet for levels and lighting, Pace Maker and Character Shop for animations, Milkshape and UU3d have exporters as do Lightwave, and Max (B3d Pipeline), Tattoo is the brilliant poormans' Deep Paint 3D, ODE and Tokamak physics engines, support for Ogg sound files, OpenGL engines BasicGL and VividGL, lensflare libraries, tree makers, TerraEd...

What more do you want or actually need? The list just keep on going...

Look at the fabulous results people are getting in the gallery, check out my website for some screenies of my work (you may be pleasantly surprised) - check out this link.

http://www.smartscreenuk.com/SmartScreen_SmartScape_2004.htm

The result you will get is based on how much effort you are prepared to put in.

Okay, you can't do many of the latest effects in just B3d, good games are only enhanced by effects, they don't make the game itself 'better' in game play terms, only in eye candy terms (which does of course help).

Having said that, you should seriously check out BasicGL - wow that is a FANTASTIC addition to our artillery - no question about it, toon shading, shaders, shadows, proper mirrors, bump and normal mapping, water planes, particles all built in - all accessible from within Blitz3d.

Conclusion:
I have been using Blitz in its various forms for many, many years. I have also been able to benefit financially from it, and I hope to continue to do so for a long time yet.

Blitz3d is awesome when used right. BlitzMax is gonna BLOW AWAY ALL competition - I just know it will - but until a proper 3d engine is launched and tested I will be using BMax for 2d stuff only.

That is the world as I see it anyways!

Best regards,

IPete2.

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#4]
I have been using direct x and openGL and C++ for 4 years, no concrete results.
In 3-4 months time I was able to design a complete 3d game using Blitz3D
For the time being I do not see a real alternative for the reason explained by IPete2.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#5]
Blitz3D kicks asses. Definitely a great solution for developing Windows-based 3D games.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#6]
Timmport,

Snowball Scramble took just over 2 weeks to programme, from first idea to released version. It has some really nice features which were made easy to implement because of the nature of Blitz3D.

Please, check it out and see why it is so good to have B3d to work with, the demo of my game is here:

http://www.smartscreenuk.com/smartscreen_home_2004.htm

IPete2.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#7]
I would stick with Blitz3D for now. Just because Max is out doesn't mean Blitz 3D is obsolete by any means. It's still a kick ass language, with a great 3D engine. Even if it doesn't support the latest bells and whistles, unless you're developing a professional title, you probably shouldn't be targeting the latest and greatest anyway. :-)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#8]
Blitz3D is extremely stable and a joy a to use. Nothing will remove its crown (even BlitzMax) for a year or two yet.

Go for it!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#9]
i am sure Blitz3D will remain being a useful tool for many years. Nothing's wrong with learning BLitz3D since BMax will be based on a similar Sythax, although it will include several additions. If you really want to start a big project in Blitz3D if you plan to purchase BMax anyway is an other question, but you probably can work on some smaller projects to become familar with the Blitz Language first.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#10]
Absolutely. I'm with these guys ^^^. B3D is still very viable and Mark Sibly said it would be continue to be supported. I am very excited about BMAX, but I'm now going to wait a bit until the product matures a bit. Another aspect of BMAX was the ability to use OpenGL for a rendering context. Well...

If you want to get into OpenGL with Blitz3D or Blitz+, I recommend looking at the BasicGL tool kit to go along with it. http://www.agtools.tk Very powerful even though it's not quite finished.

Dock(Posted 2004) [#11]
I'm planning to stick with Blitz 3D my 3D game project, which I aim to release in 2005. If, after I'm done, Blitz Max is established to a point where it does 3D nicely and people are comfortable with it, then I'll move over.

I think a relevent question is this...
If I learn Blitz3D, how difficult will it be to learn Blitz Max? Is the language radically different?

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#12]
Timmport - stick with B3D for the time-being. I've been with B3D for a while, and even with BlitzMax coming, in their release state the two programs are for different purposes. Once 3D is fully supported in BM then yes, it will definitely be something to look at, but initial 3D support is still months away and it'll be far longer before we have a set of tools which make it more practical to use from a BASIC point of view.

I've just recently started a year long project in B3D even though BlitzMax is coming. Why? Because it'll be finished before BlitzMax can do the same stuff. :) Sure, I may convert it to BlitzMax afterwards purely for cross-platform compatiability, but for the nature of the game - there's simply no advantage in using BlitzMax.

Now that all that's said - BUY BLITZMAX! SUPPORT BLITZ RESEARCH! Even if you can't create the most fantastic 3D games right away, you'll get a headstart in the language which is going to last us many years to come. :)

+BlackD

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#13]
timmport - I would say as you have already paid for it, go ahead and make a project in blitz3d. Bmax for the pc or the 3d module for it won't be out for a little while. B3d does have an established code base and alot of people can help you. It's still by far the best "game development based language" out there, so you could probably still use blitz3d for a couple more years (or more) depending on what you're doing. If the money doesn't matter to you much when it becomes available go ahead and by bmax and later the module, and learn them well and make projects in them. It doesn't matter, as long as you finish something :-)

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#14]
Wow. Brilliant and informed comments.

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who wasn't bowled over by the release of BlitzMax.
This is very reassuring.

But I think the most telling comment was "Instead you will have to use OpenGL until you either purcase a 3rd party engine or mark's 3d module which as far as I know he hasn't started on yet".

I just lost even more interest.
Blitz3D rocks.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2004) [#15]
I've tried 8+ other programing languages, non suited except Blitz3D. And now it's my sole language. And while not all of those where game programming, they where still languages.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#16]
(quote)I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who wasn't bowled over by the release of BlitzMax.
(/quote)

Well I too couldn't care less about BMAX - it does not have 3D capabilities, so it's totally useless to me. And when it does, it will be OGL, and I'm more familiar with DX-stuff because that's what I do for living... I rather have an enemy I know :)

And I have things (development pipeline) nicely set-up with B3D and I'm still *so* far from using B3D features 100%... it will keep me busy for years, and I'm also quite capable of doing nice looking gfx with it even without shaders... it's not the tools, it's how you use them and all that.

ONLY thing I'd like to get in B3D is DXTC and maybe morphing support for .b3d fileformat.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#17]
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who wasn't bowled over by the release of BlitzMax
IMHO, the 'bowled over' are the minority. The majority are not prepared for the OO features and syntax of BMax. I have to admit it took a while for me to see the value OO programming.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#18]
I'm still *so* far from using B3D features 100%

I couldn't agree more. B3D has *TONS* of features and could keep a game coder busy for quite a while.