ODE vs. Tokamak

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/ODE vs. Tokamak

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]
Which is better, and why?

Rogue Vector(Posted 2004) [#2]
A lot of professional game engines are using ODE.

'Stalker:Shadow Of Chernobyl' is one example.

http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

Click-on the 'Engine' section and scroll down a bit.

The problem with ODE seems to be the complete lack of documentation.

I can't find any beginner tutorials, function descriptions, etc.

Regards,

Rogue Vector

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#3]
I tried both and prefferred Tokamak, but thats maybe because Tokamak has some good documentation. I had some problems getting ODE to run stable, but that could just have been me. However, in the end I have stopped using Tokamak and have done my own simplified physics!! There were just too many 'uncontrolled variables' in my project for my liking.

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well, I would prefer ODE, but the actual wrapper is not finished and it has that bad "freezing" problem after a few minutes, which make it impossible (to me) to use it in Blitz.

I'm now integrating Tokamak to my game, but not for the whole game, just for a few effects in certain areas ... and until now, it seems to be that toka is hard to set-up but then it works pretty much stable ...

Paolo.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#5]
I have limited experience in ODE and a bit more in Tokamak, for me ODE always seem to react in slow motion and I dnot know how to effect a change to this.

Tokamak appears better documented and even though I am a novice Josh, remember the sewer racers I sent you!? I think that was pretty unplayable because of the speed of turning, I had frame limited the demo.

Tokamak is a well tried stable system and is working quite well un Blitz I would say. Although there was a flurry of progress in ODE recently it has been a long long long time in coming.

Tokamak is due to go to version 2 soon I think I heard somewhere too, so what that means for Blitz users I don't know.

I would say the best people to answer this question are:

Sweenie, Bot Builder and people on the PlayerFactory forums.

IPete2.

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#6]
IPete2, if you would like to experiment with the speed problems you're having in ODE. Have a play around with the 'ODE_dWorldQuickStep 0.1' setting. This controls the speed of the physics stepping.

Hope this helps, although what the future holds for the ODE wrapper is at the moment a mystery.