Maplet free version vs. Blitz3D edition

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Maplet free version vs. Blitz3D edition

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is the free
Maplet V1.01 - Release Version
different from the
Maplet V1.01 - Blitz User Edition?

Because if they are then I would like to know which one is worth keeping. No point in having two copies if they are essentially the same.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
By the way, I found it strange that the splash window for Maplet says to go to the website to register it, but the only application available for me to register (in the dropdown box) is BlitzMAX.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2004) [#3]
I am pretty sure they are the same.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#4]
The 'Release Version' can export to .x and .b3d, the 'Blitz User Edition' can only export to .b3d. That's the only difference.

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#5]
Maplet is now free? Glad I didn't pay for it. :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
That's new to me. Thought the Release Version is not free, and the Blitz3D Edition Version is "free for Blitz3D Users". Maybe it's for free now?

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#7]
Its sorely in need of a update. Presently its really not all that usefull for level design. It was kind of cool back 2 years ago, but with crash's, limitted shapes, no real support for doing propper texturing and lighting, its not a usefull as some of the free stuff out here these days.

However, if your looking for fairly simple level design, its quick and dirty and works. I just wish it supported Full Hull modeliing as well so I coul build a complete structure, inside and out with it. Yea, yea, make a giant cube blah, blah, but I dont want to make a single model where all the buildings are set in concreate, I like being able to make a scene in a real modeler and just drop in the structures where they need to be.

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#8]
@jfk, click on Products, then Maplet. On the top of the page it reads Maplet is now *free*!
Grab the full version here!
Apparently, Mark wasn't getting much in sales on Maplet by itself so I guess he decided to just give it away.

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#9]
Maplet was a great prog to try first if you'd never seen a modeller! (Like me 3 years ago.)

Many downsides, as you say.

Mark posted that he was looking forward to working on it again, but I guess he's been too busy.
Shame, I'd love to see the genius of Mark Sibly applied to a user-friendly modelling program.
Seriously, I'd be far more interested in that than in BlitzMax.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
Some time ago Mark published a demo named maplet 2 (or something), and this demo (only) demonstrated the VIS Occlusion system he was working on. He also said that he optimized a lot of aspects, so the resulting geometry was much more economical. Anyway, I think he had to make a decision and set the priorities, and since the commercial Maplet wasn't that commercial, BMax has top priority now.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#11]
I wonder what will happen to Maplet 2 now. I remember Mark saying that Maplet 2 was not going to be possible with Blitz3d and that it would have to wait till BlitzMax. Maybe he'll revisit it.