Security - PIN

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Security - PIN

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#1]
Whats the easiest way of making a game only run if the user has the right PIN number.
I know games can always be hacked no matter what,
but its a good idea to protect against 'casual piracy'
e.g. someone sending a game to their friends by email or Kazaa

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
I'm just being picky here, but "PIN number." should be just "PIN" as 'PIN' is an acronym for 'personal identification number' if I recall correctly.

Just had to say that as it somehow set something off in my head.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#3]
This sets off a reaction in Noel. Much like the phrases "Oriental chicken platter", and "Male dancers". ;)

Anywho, Slenkar. I would recommend if you're going to go this route.. you're going to have to work with either the registry, or an installer that supports this(or both in concert I suppose).

The method for generating your keys(PINs) is up to you, and the name of the purchasing indevidual could work well. Or perhaps parts of their name(first letter of first/last name) and their data of birth, encoded into the PIN. Then if people deside to redestribute the game without doing something like generating a generic one that works, you can nail em. Just an idea :)

N(Posted 2004) [#4]
This sets off a reaction in Neol. Much like the phrases "Oriental chicken platter", and "Male dancers".

Whoever Neol is, he seems to share the same triggers as me.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#5]
I decided to finally just buy ARMADILLO and use that to restrict access to the game I wrote. That way I could use the same code for a trial copy and payment would simply unlock the game.

RZ