Idea - Need some comments.. ta

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Idea - Need some comments.. ta

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hay all.

I'v been playing with some ideas on fluid dynamics in 3D.

Say you have a Sphere, and it slides into a Box at 45^ ie the corner of it, in reality the fluid would split and half of the sphere would slide down one side of the box and the other would slide down the other( hope your still following me here ) , if this then ends on say a table, we should be left with two smaller sphere's.

Ok, now here is my idea, to create the fluid dynamic I plan on having liquid particles, these will be for example little 6 polly(tri) spheres, Now the big blob/sphere is going to be made up of lets say 10 of these little liquid bits, I then intend to create a SHELL around all of these little bits.

So in programmer talk we have a sphere(SHELL) that the user sees as the liquid blob, but its got 10 small invisible spheres inside it.

OK, so we now have the liquid blob established, now here is how I plan to control it, Each of the little liquid parts have some simple rules, each will have a small force applied to it that will move it in the direction of the closest smaller bit(but not to close) this small suck force will help the little liquid bits glob together if they get close enough.

NOW add to each of these some simple physics to control where they move and bingo.

SO, back to the liquid blob falling onto a corner side of a box, 5 of the little parts will slide down one side and the others down the other, at some point they will be to far from each other and no suck force will be applied. so we then have two smaller blobs.

Now all I have to do is create a function that creahes a SHELL around any groups of liquid.

ENV Map it with some shimmy liquid type texture.

ok.

First of all I hope you get what I'm talking about, Second Id like any feedback on if you think this is going to be easy to do or not, I know for me there seem to be a few bits of code required that iv never done before.

Anyway comments welcome. thanks.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#2]
bump

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
You lost me at 'some'.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#4]

I hope this shows what im talking about, I had a gut feeling that I didnt explain that well enough.

Bare in mind this would be in 3D, the black outline would be the SHELL polly mesh around the droplets of water which are in green in the image above.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#5]
Its been done before. It'd be pretty hard to do in real time without braking metaball patents. Download truespace 3 and check out the water demos.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#6]
I might save it for a BlitzMax project.

And as for Metaball patents. I didnt know they had that done, not that I really know anything about metaballs, either way Im just chucking out an idea I had and wanted to know if anyone thought it would be easy to do in blitz.