Recomend a GFX Card ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Recomend a GFX Card ?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]
Im going to get one to go with Max when I get it just after Xmass.

Its goto be good but also fall into a price range of about £100 Id also like it to be able to play the new games like Half Life 2.

Any one got any suggestions?

Amon_old(Posted 2004) [#2]
I would spend the cash on a nice radeon 9800 pro. Its not that much over a hundred and it would suit you good for games like HL2 and DOOM3.

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
9700/9800 Pro should be fine.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#4]
thanks chaps its now on me list.

Radion thats ATI aint it ? not had an ati card for years.

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yeah, it's an ATI card. Sapphire seems to be the most common manufacturer of the cards.

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#6]
Sapphire seems to be the most common manufacturer of the cards.

Apart from ATi themselves, of course.

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#7]
if its just for games get an ATI, if you plan to use opengl 3d applications get an nvidia.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#8]
Wot about blitz max ?

Hows the ATI cards gona run with that. ?

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#9]
Personally, i find NVidia Cards WAY better at handeling complex graphics.

I have had the situation with ATIs where the graphics start flashing and put random 3d triangles everywhere.

I never have had that with an NVidia.

But thats just me.

I have a Nvidia FX5700 with 256mb of ram and i bought that for $300NZ witch is about 120pounds.

Buts i guess its all a matter of taste and what your used to :)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#10]
had no problem with the bmax testgame and beside the GF6800 Mac Systems only had ATIs for ages ...

NVidia have some extensions for opengl which make them faster but in a general game you won't have use for them as you would need to write the same stuff twice for nv and non nv :)

and the flushing stuff fully depends on drivers, there are quite a lot forceware drivers that have similar problems and even worse problems.

Best thing to get is a GF6600 on AGP if you can afford it.
Blasts away the Radeon 9800 and has shader 3 support, something ATI doesn't have in any card :)

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#11]
If you are going for BlitzMax you may aswell get a graphics card that performs better with OpenGL, ATI is baised towards DX. Of course we're talking only a few % faster in each case, but bang for your buck - you may aswell go for nVidia.

Personally I use a 5200FX, which if your motherboard doesn't support 8X AGP is about as good as it gets.

Yeah yeah, I should upgrade.

Anyway I used to work in tech support and I have never recommended ATI or Hauppage ever since.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#12]
Nvidia bought the inventor of Glide (3DFX) ... so why might they be faster in OpenGlide stuff? ;)
While ATI came up from the nothing with no need to buy all 3d pros on the market ;)

ATM with the GF6 Series NV is just better because they have Shader 3 which ATI does not have!
And the GF6600 is even available for AGP!

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#13]
OpenGL isnt OpenGlide.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#14]
Old ATI cards sucked -- Radeon 9700/9800s are great, and run Max stuff fine, as well as HL2, etc (I finally completed it last night!).