How long before the PC version of Blitzmax?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How long before the PC version of Blitzmax?

GfK(Posted 2004) [#1]
Are we talking days? Weeks? Months??

hub(Posted 2004) [#2]
Years ??

skn3(Posted 2004) [#3]
millenia ?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'm guessing days. 30-90 at a guess.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#5]
I've just spotted that there are a couple of other threads about this already... although how I'm expected to find anything in this sorry mess, I don't know...

poopla(Posted 2004) [#6]
The forums feel like an illigitamate bastard step child of the originals.. I agree GFK :).

I'd also like to know the projected release date for the PC version, but we should know better then to expect that kind of info :P.

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
I'm more interested in knowing when there'll be a demo of the PC version out. If I can try it first then buy it while it's still not out if I like it then I'll be happy enough.

Amon_old(Posted 2004) [#8]
It would be cool to have a demo version for PC even if its true that it has no working IDE yet.

I think it was skidracer who said that we should have a nice suprise soon. Maybe he means a PC version.

GW(Posted 2004) [#9]
The rumor was that there is no IDE for the PC version, I suspect the pc version is not even done.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#10]
The compiler seems to be done according some testers postings.
But the mentioned as well that they programmed in notepad so this might really be a reason ... on the other hand I have protean and hope that a update to BMax would not take too long after the release so I wouldn't mind to have a notepad version :)

N(Posted 2004) [#11]
Use Protean. Or Eclipse. Or Visual Blitz. Or one of the good IDEs.

At some point or another they'll support BlitzMax anyways.

GW(Posted 2004) [#12]
My point was that if the rumor is true, then brl wont release the pc version until it got its own Ide.

DJWoodgate(Posted 2004) [#13]
Hmmm. If the IDE is coded in Bmax then it would not be a big job to make the IDE work on a Win platform, would it? So maybe the MAC IDE is not coded in Bmax, but a Bmax IDE is in development and of course you will get the source to it. Maybe that is the surprise. Or maybe the Win32 version comes with a free choccy egg. Who knows.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#14]
Maybe that is the surprise.
I think you're on to something...

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#15]
ffs, just release it as a notepad version. I honestly couldnt give a toss. I'll progam anyways. Besides that, I've got Protean, so it's merely a matter of time before it has Bmax support.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#16]
If the IDE is as advanced as Blitz3D ones, its use is the same as notepad anyway.

with a project wide type listing and class viewer etc like visual studio the use of a OO IDE is ~0

N(Posted 2004) [#17]
~0

Is that a sperm?

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#18]
No, its you typing a ~ and an O.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#19]
I have an incling that the suprise could be the blitz3d dx7 engine as a module.. ever thought of that aye ?

I wonder why they are being so tight lipped about the release date for pc. Understandable that they didn't want to say before the actual release, but things should be better now.. surely ?

Perhaps they want to release it on xmass day. That would be kinda cool! Santa claus would defintly be visiting my pc that day if it were the case.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#20]
perhaps they just don't have a date because IDE missing and full test on mac not done before all the users had their fun with?
DAUs regularily find lots of errors that regular beta testers don't find because they would never try such useless stuff and combinations due to their experience ;)

( TGC claimed that DBP had been beta test before release and was bugfree ... strange that it is still bugged and it took over a year to make its core work without probs on every 2nd system )

TeaVirus(Posted 2004) [#21]
I noticed that some of the sample code by Rob Hutchinson had regions defined in it. Hopefully that means there'll be an update to Protean by the time the Win version of max is out. =)

TeaVirus(Posted 2004) [#22]
Oh yeah, the .ppf file kinda gives it away too...

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#23]
I noticed that some of the sample code by Rob Hutchinson had regions defined in it. Hopefully that means there'll be an update to Protean by the time the Win version of max is out. =)

Wasn't there a post around here somewhere which indicated that Protean ( or a vetsion thereof ) *was* the Windows IDE?

GW(Posted 2004) [#24]
requiring .Net to use Bmax would not be cool.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#25]
That would be a bit of stupid move if it is the case...
Protean rocks, I have it and use it all the time, but to use a .net IDE as the default bmax ide is, well pretty obviously shooting yourself in the face.

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#26]
Perhaps it's not done?

N(Posted 2004) [#27]
Agreed there.

Writing a simple syntax highlighting text editor isn't hard though.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#28]
There are a couple of user IDEs that work with the Windows BlitzMax (even I did one).

Protean as you have figured out, is one of them and works very well indeed. My samples were written in Protean.

As far as I am aware, Protean is not the official bundled IDE, but I expect the Official one will be functionally similar to Mac one.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#29]
requiring .Net to use Bmax would not be cool.

Well the Mac version has dependencies which amount to about 350mb (?) so I reckon the .Net runtime would be small fry by comparison ;)

Robert(Posted 2004) [#30]

Wasn't there a post around here somewhere which indicated that Protean ( or a vetsion thereof ) *was* the Windows IDE?

That would be awesome, but seeing as the Protean IDE costs £25 (a very good price IMO), he would have to discount it down hugely in order to include it with Blitz (ie. if there was a royalty system). On the other hand, it would mean many more customers.

I have a feeling that the PC version's IDE will be very similar to the one on the Mac, but weird and wonderful things do happen.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#31]
I've just had a look through the docs of BlitzMax and am now wanting it even more than I was before..

It truly rocks!

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#32]
I thought I'd post this here instead of creating another "when will BMax be released?" thread in the Blitz3D forum.
How far is the Linux version? I won't be buying BMax when it is only out for the Mac since I do not have a Mac and not planning on buying one soon. But I would buy the Linux version. I would think that most of us already have Linux installed and those who do not, there are mini versions of linux you could install on Windows machines so you could play with BMax and learn it's features and find the bugs while waiting for the Windows version.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#33]
Where can I read the Blitzmax docs? I don't want to download a mac emulator and install the demo just to read the docs.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#34]
Download the Mac demo. The docs are in there. Not sure what prog can handle .sit archives though...

Eric(Posted 2004) [#35]
Swift,

http://www.stuffit.com/win/index.html

I downloaded the Mac Demo, And Stuffit. Worked like a charm.

Regards,
Eric

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#36]
'I have an incling that the suprise could be the blitz3d dx7 engine as a module.. ever thought of that aye ? '

Now that would be primo - that would make me buy BlitzMax, rather than some '3dengine to be added at a later unspecified date'

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#37]
that would be really great ...
But in that case I don't think we would get it with sources :)

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#38]
Does anybody know if BMax will compile for Mac using PearPC / other emulator? I don't really want to spend £1000 on a Mac JUST to compile Mac versions of my programs :( (I remember reading that you MUST compile Mac progs on Mac, PC on PC, Linux on Linux in the newsletter)

Also, these pre-compiled 'modules' - are *they* inherantly cross-platform?

Craig Watson(Posted 2004) [#39]
Yes it will, but remember that you'll be hard pressed trying to support your Mac users (debugging and the like) from an emulated environment.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#40]
Just get some new friends with macs.. :)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#41]
or sell enough windows copies to buy a PowerG5 ;)

Douglas(Posted 2004) [#42]
Since there is no more off topic I'll post this here.

I got excited yesterday when I discovered BMax was out. I thought I could completely switch back to Mac (and leave my PC in the closet in case I wanted to play WC3). Just surfing the internet has completly screwed up my PC like nothing I have ever seen before. My desktop doesn't even work. And I have OS X 10.1 something. So I figure I'll upgrade to 10.2 Thats no longer an option you have to go straight to 10.3, which is over 100 dollars. And apparently you had to pay for 10.2 when it was out as well. And 10.4 will be out soon, thats 3 OS upgrades in like 2 years each costing over 100 dollars is CRAP. When barely anything has changed. Blizzard doesn't make you pay 100 dollars whenever they slightly update WC3. And now I find you have to have Xcode installed. They make you pay $20 for that crap too. Luckly I have a freind that has OS 10.2 but no Xcode. Now I'm mad that BMax is out coz I hate anything that supports Apple. I desparately need to figure out Linux or Unix or something.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#43]
hmm update from 10 - 10.2 were free ... at least I updated my ex girlfriends for free over the net to 10.2.8 from whatever came with her g3 ibook 2 years old ( which has a parallel installation of OS9 on it )

I think you made something wrong as XCode was mentioned to be free here as well.

Douglas(Posted 2004) [#44]
xcode is free if u buy os x 10.3

and her laptop would have come with 10.2. Thus u can upgrade to 10.2.8

luckly i know someone that has 10.3 This is rediculous.

Barnabius(Posted 2004) [#45]
xcode can be freely downloaded from Apple's site. Developer's section. I know it's 350+ MB but should not be a problem for anyone with a broadband connection.

Barney

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#46]
I wonder where the modserver went?

It was on http://www.blitzbasic.com/modserver/ but now its not quite there.

And its pure BS that the 3d module will have to be payed for. If thats the case, i'll probably never buy bmax.

Douglas(Posted 2004) [#47]
show me the link

dan_upright(Posted 2004) [#48]
And its pure BS that the 3d module will have to be payed for. If thats the case, i'll probably never buy bmax.
but no doubt you'd have bought it if it'd been delayed until the 3d module was ready and then cost whatever the total amount is going to be?

Amon_old(Posted 2004) [#49]
but no doubt you'd have bought it if it'd been delayed until the 3d module was ready and then cost whatever the total amount is going to be?

Exactly. He would have bought BlitzMax regardless.

Also how can you expect the 3d module to be free? You can buy BM for $80 so I would assume to add maybe another $50 - $80 for when the 3D module becomes available. Lets not forget that Mark has said that the 3D Module will be a next Gen engine with all the Bells & wistles.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#50]

Where can I read the Blitzmax docs? I don't want to download a mac emulator and install the demo just to read the docs.

xcode can be freely downloaded from Apple's site. Developer's section. I know it's 350+ MB but should not be a problem for anyone with a broadband connection.

Wouldnt't it be possible for BR to just publish the docs on this website ?

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#51]
When I saw the $80 price I thought, How could he sell BMax for less than blitz3D? Then I realized he'll probably sell the 3D module when it comes out. I guess it'll be better that way. If you would rather use another 3D engine, then you wouldn't need to waste your money on one you wouldn't use.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#52]
I think it's a perfectly sensible approach to software pricing with regards to extensibility. It won't be long before an Open GL and DirectX9 engine is available to plug in, and in the mean time we can learn how to code Hello World with inheritance :)

In fact, looking at the samples included with the Mac release, there is one example by Terabit that looks like it loads in a static one texture layer .b3d model.

bradford6(Posted 2004) [#53]
$80 = good price.

I think the best thing for most of you folks to do is to un-plug from bb.com for about 6 months. by then BMAX will be out for the PC, the 3D module may be ready and the price will be set.

there are some other modules that will need to be added before BMAX is ready for prime-time including the 3d module and networking module.

I am going to try to embed or link Python to/in Bmax

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#54]
there is one example by Terabit that looks like it loads in a static one texture layer .b3d model.

Whaddayamean One Texture Layer. The 3D engine demo loads in a multi textured lightmapped level and allows you to run around in it and see another rotating model made up of four separate textured surfaces.

One static texture....pah! ;)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#55]
2 weeks after the initial mac release, judging by previous dates set by BR.
Just about 10 days now I think.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#56]
bradford: the networking module is in ... from the documentation the openstream is able to connect to urls as well. and there is a module called socketstream which allowes to create servers according the i-file. Problem is it isn't mentioned in the help file :)

"
+Create:TSocketStream(sock)="_brl_socketstream_TSocketStream_Create"
+CreateClient:TSocketStream(server$,port)="_brl_socketstream_TSocketStream_CreateClient"
}="brl_socketstream_TSocketStream"
"

So I think it might be in somewhere if people are able to find it. As I was not able to get a OSX cd or my exgirlfriends ibook, I can't tell more on the socketstream stuff.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#57]
Whaddayamean One Texture Layer. The 3D engine demo loads in a multi textured lightmapped level and allows you to run around in it and see another rotating model made up of four separate textured surfaces.

Oops sorry, I was looking at the GLHead sample in the demo version of bmax. I didn't look very carefully, and I haven't actually run it, so I've actually no idea :)

Roll on the PC version!

Warren(Posted 2004) [#58]
I really doubt Mark is going to charge extra for the 3D module. Everyone buying now are early adopters (myself included), and are getting the engine pieces doled out to them as they are completed.

Once everything is finished, I think it'll be $80 for the complete package.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#59]

Exactly. He would have bought BlitzMax regardless.

No i would not. I consider DirectX 7 to have a very decent amount of graphical features, especially since I don't intend to make eye-candy games. Like i said before, even pro gamers are having difficulties pointing out what advantages of "NextGen" engines are to those of DX7. The only thing i say is worth noticing is the minor speed increase in newer DX9 cos of new drivers and stuff. But if i don't plan to make my games depend on 3D eye candy, as its hard enough to find an artist who can use the most out of a NextGen engine, then i really don't need BMax if its going to cost more than $100 with the 3D module. Am I right?

EOF(Posted 2004) [#60]
Once everything is finished, I think it'll be $80 for the complete package
But where would that leave Blitz3D which is currently priced at $100?

$80 (~£42) is a steal for BlitzMax when you look at it's features:
Cross-compiling, oop, modules, speed, exe size, low-level access, expandability etc ..

Lets not begrudge BRL a few extra bucks for the 3D module.

Who can remember the speculation that Bmax would sell for $200 then?

dan_upright(Posted 2004) [#61]
No i would not.
so what are you saying? that you would never buy blitzmax regardless? bit pointless of you to be whining about paying extra for the 3d module then, isn't it?

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#62]
want... pc version... grrrrr

wedoe(Posted 2004) [#63]
Once everything is finished, I think it'll be $80 for the complete package
I think it was Skidracer who posted on another link that the 3D module would NOT be included for free, he should know.....

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#64]
I think people not in the know should remove any reference to pricing now before someone reads it and takes it as fact.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#65]
I have no problem purchasing "modules" and 80 bux for what you get is a pretty good price point I think.

BUT I WANT THE PC VERSION!

big10p(Posted 2004) [#66]
The PC/linux versions have been scraped and the product is to be renamed BlitzMacs. :P

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#67]
Considering BlitzMax will feature a Blitz3D converter, I will continue to code with Blitz3D and patiently await Mark's release of the PC version.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#68]
It's not a Blitz3D converter, its a Blitz (2D core) converter. It won't convert your 3D stuff at all.

bradford6(Posted 2004) [#69]
Terabit,

Is the 3D module you are referring to running on the PC version? is it a BRL module or did you write it.
did you release a compiled Win32 version? if so URL pls.

btw. I still use Decorator now and again (Fantastic program)

gburgess(Posted 2004) [#70]
I think it was Skidracer who posted on another link that the 3D module would NOT be included for free, he should know.....

Mark said it too, 'cos I asked him a while back. So, it's definitely not going to be free. Which is fine by me. If you want bang up to date tools, ya gotta pay.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#71]
The Blitz Research next Gen 3D module will not be free.

@Bradford6

The 3D engine I'm referring to is of my own creation. It works as an include rather than a module (it wouldn't be too hard to make it a module though). It provides a quite Blitz3D like interface and can load .B3D files, but is only a demo and not meant to substitute for the '3D-from- beyond' that I expect the official blitzMax 3D module to be.

It was written on the PC, but also works on the Mac (as you might expect).

A demo has only been released on the Mac to date.

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#72]
Well the 3D engine... Oh excuse me, module will not be free? Cool, more reason to get into high gear porting Genisas3D and CrystalSpace. I bet that new engine from the 3DRad people will be made to work with blitz max in no time. To be honast, I would enjoy having a selection of engines to choose from, and since BRLs wont be free, I see a future full of top quality competition.

Besides, its not like you wont have access to OpenGL, so 3D is already an option, just no built in entity system for it. With mudules for objects, I see that as no real stumbling block, its not like the math is a problem these days, plenty of web referances and formulas out there to handle most things.

Hey maybe we will see a realtime raycaster engine for some photo quality 3D work. :)

Personaly Im looking forward to the MMO module. LOL

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#73]
How long a test period do companies normally need?

Is this going to last for 1-2 months or just until after christmas?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#74]
It's not a Blitz3D converter, its a Blitz (2D core) converter. It won't convert your 3D stuff at all.
Shucks, Blitz3D is sole reason why I purchased BlitzBasic. I'm slightly confused as to how I will make use BlitzMax without 3D support.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#75]
Kanati
want... pc version... grrrrr

Have you tried starting a thread about it?

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#76]
I'm thinking about it. Thanks for the idea!! :)

Oh... btw... You are doing a better job at bumping these threads than I am. :)

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#77]
bumping? as in bumpmaps? Will blitzMax support Bumpmaps and pixelshaders you say?!? Even vertexshaders?!?!

Oh, Im gonna have to lay down..

GW(Posted 2004) [#78]
Blitzmax already supports bumpmaps and pixelshaders because BMax has full support of the Glew library.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#79]
Lol. Glew. FYI, glew is the library that handles openGL extensions, and is a small part of the OpenGL library, which can of course be used in BlitzMax since any library or dll can now be used AFAIK.

Anyway, with GLUT or SDL it shouldn't be too hard to get ogl up and runnin in BMAX.

(GLUT 'n SDL are cross platform)

BTW, mark, you might wanna check out using GLUT or SDL as a base for the BMAX 3d module. Or at least as a reference.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#80]
Well if nothing else, it *would* make sense to release the PC demo, if not the full version shortly before Xmas. That will be a huge missed marketing opportunity if people who are generally busy with work, school, college, uni, whatever, and have time to kill over Xmas while granny is getting drunk and swearing at the dog, don't have a chance to use that time exploring BMax. If they try it at Xmas, they may well buy it in Jan/Feb/whatever if they like it. If they don't get to try it over Xmas, they may well wait until they have free time to try it before spending any money.

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#81]
@Sybixsus
did you not receive the email I sent you privately???

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#82]
Just got in. I'll go check now. EDIT: Yep, got your mail thanks.

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#83]
There it is, the beta (or should i say alpha) version. Look on the BMAX forum. Available for buyers of the Mac version.

I'm not quite sure if everybody in BRL was so happy with this decision though...

Matthew Smith(Posted 2004) [#84]
Must say the beta works well and everything is really fast!! Check it out - even if you have to buy, you won't regret it...