Question for the Bmax early adopters

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Question for the Bmax early adopters

GW(Posted 2004) [#1]
Can someone who has Bmax create some graphics benchmarks. Something like maybe 1000 rotating, alpha blended sprites on the screen or something.
I feel like I need proof that there is not surface count problem or something. (Yes, I'm totally institutionalized) :)

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#2]
why would BlitzMax not suffer from surface count?

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#3]
It kind of depends on how it is done. Surface changes stall the 3D pipeline (that's the way the hardware is), so there will always be an penalty for lots of (different) surfaces. On my 3D demo, I batch all polygons that share the same texture together, so it goes pretty much as fast as the hardware will allow.

You aren't so limited to the inbuilt functions as you were with the previous Blitz incarnations, so you can 'Do it your way' to a certain extent.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
why would BlitzMax not suffer from surface count?

Because BlitzMax might handle handle surfaces intelligently or at least allow you to. Blitz3d was resetting the texture state even when it didn't need to.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#5]
BlitzMax has no 3D so it is up to your supperior handling and programming skills to integrate a usefull and "intelligent" system on handling surfaces.

GW(Posted 2004) [#6]
BLitzMax *Does* have 3d. How do you think it does realtime scaling, rotation and blending?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
BlitzMax has no 3D so it is up to your supperior handling and programming skills to integrate a usefull and "intelligent" system on handling surfaces.

Actually, it has no 2d. Technically, everything is done in 3d.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
This is an important question, because if one is making a tile based scrolling game, one might be blitting tons of individual images, though many might be the same image.

I'm sure there are ways to optimize things though. And even if you can't optimize directly in your code, didn't I hear that in Blitzmax you can modify the engine's functions tehmselves? Does that mean you can alter the renderer?