Buying BlitzMax

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Buying BlitzMax

Matthew Smith(Posted 2004) [#1]
Mark, Simon, James,

I would like to show my support to BlitzMax and you guys and purchase now. What will be the process to download the Windows version once it is released?

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#2]
@Matt,
I second that. But I still feel Blitz research is selling out short by offering such an amazing product for such a low price. $299 and everyone would still buy it! It's cheaper than B3D !!

GfK(Posted 2004) [#3]
I second that. But I still feel Blitz research is selling out short by offering such an amazing product for such a low price. $299 and everyone would still buy it! It's cheaper than B3D !!
But you don't know how much the 3D module is going to cost yet. Bet it won't be free.

Amon_old(Posted 2004) [#4]
It has been said by Mark Sibly that the 3d module will not be free. I think the price is just right for a product, although new, that only offers 2d possibilities at the moment. Thats not to say that others will not get a 3d engine up and running in blitzMax as it is now.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#5]
True, Gfk. Even so, £43.16 for all three versions seems like a steal. :)

I must admit that all the previous hype about BlitzMax didn't really effect me but now I'm actually getting quite excited about the prospect of getting my hands on BlitzMax. :)

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#6]
I might be speaking for myself only, but I am a 2D guy, and would still pay $299 regardless of 3D support or not.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#7]
but Blitzmax has 3D support, just not in an easy to use wrapper. You can still use OpenGL.

Murilo(Posted 2004) [#8]
I purchased BlitzMax as soon as the site was back up, even though I don't own a Mac. I thought I'd support BRL and I guess I'll already own the Windows version as soon as it's released. I will forever be the first non-BRL poster in the BlizMax forums ;)

I downloaded the .sit file, expanded it and I'm now reading the BlitzMax docs on my PC :D

BTW: It cost £50 inc VAT. A cracking price IMHO.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2004) [#9]
I just saw that Daze - I might just go ahead and get it anyway.

I will forever be the first non-BLR poster in the BlizMax forums

Something to tell the grand kiddies....

Murilo(Posted 2004) [#10]
I will forever be the first non-BLR poster in the BlizMax forums

Hey... You chopped off my smilie!

Something to tell the grand kiddies....

Everyone has their 15 minutes of fame ;)

Matthew Smith(Posted 2004) [#11]
Sorry about the smilie - in too much of a hurry to buy it.

Now a proud owner of a shiny new version of BlitzMax for the Mac - just don't have a Mac....

I'm really quite interested in having a look at the language so I'll check out what Daze has done and download StuffIt.

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#12]
ya me2, no mac here, but Im buying because I trust Mark and his infinite wisdom on the support of BMAx

Murilo(Posted 2004) [#13]
I'm really impressed with the (complete) BlitzMax help files. The Blitz+ docs are now just a distant memory...

marksibly(Posted 2004) [#14]
Hi,

What will be the process to download the Windows version once it is released?

The current plan is to host 'core' module-less releases for all 3 platforms in the private forums area.

Once you've bought Max, you will then be able to download any of these core releases and use 'syncmods' to install the modules.

GW(Posted 2004) [#15]
Mark,

Assuming there are no major bugs in the mac version, how soon would we see a PC version?

Matthew Smith(Posted 2004) [#16]
Thanks Mark - congrats on the release!!!

Craig Watson(Posted 2004) [#17]
Has anyone tried compiling BlitzMax stuff on PearPC yet?

I just note that you can't compile for other platforms from your platform, so this may be an out for those who want to do Mac releases.

Also, Linux what?

Are there some kind of library requirements to run on Linux, plus which architectures are supported? Linux runs on practically everything.

Edit: Answered elsewhere - x86 to start, more later hopefully.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#18]
Has anyone tried compiling BlitzMax stuff on PearPC yet?

Yes.

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum1&topic=004358

I just note that you can't compile for other platforms from your platform, so this may be an out for those who want to do Mac releases.

For fun maybe. I think you'd be ill-advised to sell a game you had only tested on an emulator and had no machine to even attempt to debug or work on support issues with.

Craig Watson(Posted 2004) [#19]
You don't need your own Mac if you can get others to test, but it'd be a pain to do I agree. It'd be handy to make demos with though, so you could at least get an idea of your prospects on the Mac before you blow money on one.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#20]
What's so special about BlitzMax?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#21]
I assume you've been living under a rock for the last year.

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#22]
Digital Fortress:
What's so special about BlitzMax?

Well depends on who you talk too. Im not sure its bringing anything new and earth shatering to the programming arena, but it sure seems to be a step beyond the BlitzBasics of the past. The big question now is how does it compare to other cross platform environments for the purpose of writing code. Unfortianatly we will need to watch BlitzCoder for that info since the BMax forums are not accessable to those of us who whould wrather learn about the language first before buying. As it stands now, Im no really sure how BMAX stands up to something like JAVA with Eclipse? Maybe faster, but not even that is a garauntee as JAVA can be faster the C++ in certain situations( I admit not the most comon ones ).

I for one am happy to see it released but will not buy it till the PC/Linux versions are out and I see some more input from existing customers.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#23]
I noticed that the Manuals page doesn't have an entry for BlitzMAX. Or is that just because I don't own it?

Murilo(Posted 2004) [#24]
Nope. I purchased it and it's not there for me either. I'm sure they'll get round to adding it soon.