Adding Main Menu and Start Screen stuff Help.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Adding Main Menu and Start Screen stuff Help.

Stickman(Posted 2004) [#1]
Dose anyone know a good way to add Start screens and Main Menu selections into the game engine?

Would it be VIA from an editor or hard code one as an Include and compile it when compiling the game engine code.

How do Pro engines like Quake and Doom allow you to do this in there engines ?

My trouble is there is so many ways Main menus and start screens can be made that trying to code a program to run in my editor that is flexible enough to create any type of start screen and menus seems way way to intensive almost like a Menu and Start screen Editor within it self.

Any Ideas.

My last idea was to just leave this part Blank in the engine with a default type start screen and Menu selection, then to change it just add an Include into the main code that will take over if present.
What I don't like is that this way you would need to recompile the whole engine to make it work.

I can't seem to see any other way to make it as flexible as possible.

I know Im a little vague, If you are having trouble understanding what Im referring to let me know and Ill do my best to help clear things up.

Thanks for any help at all
Stickman......

bradford6(Posted 2004) [#2]
code it yourself. one way is to use an image and just create hotspots (like on a web page) by detecting where the mouse button was hit.

or...

try a 3rd party gui like alpha gui.

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#3]
There was another post about this recently with helpful suggestions in it. Maybe try doing a search.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hard coding it is by far the easiest.

What it sounds like you want to do would in most cases I think not justify the amount of effort put into it.

Stickman(Posted 2004) [#5]
Just the Difference between 2D and 3D screens is a lot then to go further and mix them together.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#6]
I agree with Bradford. Creating a simple 'imagemap' system is the easiest. In fact, I'm writing a entire single surface 3D gui system based on html client side 'imagemap' files.

They're many Free ImageMap Editors that output html map files defining the hotspots. So you just load your image, draw your hotspots, and save. I've written a simple html map parser. It will only recognize RECTangle shaped hotspots, but its a simple start.

Copy the image and code and give it a try!

test.jpg

ImageMap.bb

test.htm

Html Map file generated with Map This! 1.3

aab(Posted 2004) [#7]
I was going to say(something like) that!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#8]
Check out Chroma's system... I use it, although it's now heavily modified. You can find the link to Chroma's original stuff (I'm hosting it) from this thread:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=24972

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#9]
You will most likely want more than just hotspots. You may desire to flip images on mouseevents, play sound, use scroll bars, fades, etc. HTML Image Maps can meet the need. I started with Image Map Code above, and I'm developing a more advanced GUI System based on it and JimB's ImagePacker & SpriteMasterPro.

GUI Editing was the factor for me. If you dont want to use the traditional Windows-style controls and available GUI Libs (which usually feature an Editor), you will find yourself drawing the menus and organizing buttons manually. There are plenty of FREE Editors to draw images and organize ImageMap hotspots.