Multiply 2x for VertexColor?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Multiply 2x for VertexColor?

eizdealer(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey there!
Is there a possibility to get something like Multiply 2x (textures) for the VertexColor command? Because right now everything you can do with VertexColor is darken. You could do fancy stuff with it like coding your own EntityShininess, much nicer lighting effects and so on.
Or is it hardware-limited (i can hardly imagine)?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#2]
In simplest case you set all models to 128,128,128 and use brighter colors for brighten up as well as darker colors to darken down.

per default they have 255, 255,255 which is why you can't make them any brighter ( beside the fullbright flag ).

eizdealer(Posted 2004) [#3]
Well, I need it a lot lighter.
Let's say you have AmbientLight at 255,255,255 , the VertexColor as well and a normal light, too. Still it would be Far away from the effect you can get with EntityShininess (which is of course very limited with settings) which is plain white.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#4]
you can enhance entity shinyness with a environment map, or adding a multiply to your texture, or even the environment map. those are a couple of things I do anyway.

eizdealer(Posted 2004) [#5]
Of course this is a way to do it. But imagine what happend if you did this with every single Entity in your world - a big slowdown would be the result. And what's worse: A multitexturing layer is wasted and I need them all...

It shouldn't be too hard to add it, should it?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#6]
You can't do it with vertices. For stuff like this multitexturing was invented ( and for even better looking stuff pixelshaders were invented ).

There is no multiply or add blending based on vertex colors as textures only blend with other textures and white meshes can't become whiter :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#7]
you can set the texture to use Multiply2x blending, and the base color of the mesh to 128,128,128. That way you can make it brighter.

eizdealer(Posted 2004) [#8]
@Fredborg: I've recently tried it and it's too messy in my opinion. Problems are bound to come if you do it this way. I know theoretically it should work but it looks really weird when combining with normal Blitz lights.

@Dreamora: There MUST be a way to do it. Don't tell me Blitz uses multitexturing when EntityShininess is activated...