stupid "fog at night" question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/stupid "fog at night" question

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi, I was recently talking to my half brother and he inspired me to start work on a horror suvival game, but the big problem I know I'll have is: atmosphere!
If there is something that is rewuired in a horror game it is atmosphere... And I can't even do shadows (I have the swift shadow engine, but I really need something that has distance and scale features... if NEone knows of this kind of engine or code... please direct me) so I ended up just saying I'll try and remake a "silent hill 1" kind of vertez lighting engine... I asked my half bro if he thought I could make a crepy game with an engine like that (he's a big horror fan and kinda an expert) and he said it could work... then he asked me about "fog at night"...
How would I pull off realistic fog at night?
I was thinking of creating a few spheres and maing them children to the camera... all different sizes... shoving an animated "errie fog" texture on them, making them transparent and if the flashlight lights the vertex's I figured it would sorta look a bit "volumetric"... would this work? Keep in mind the game is very dark... and has few light sources... Any hints or tips? Thanx for any help anyone can give.

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#2]
Somebody did do a silent hill fog effect in the code archives...it was very effective and should be ideal for what you want. You'll have to search for it though :(

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#3]
I had a similar fog problem for my Underwater Project Im working on. I ended up using several overlaping Spheres flipped and centered on the cammera, each sphere is alpha shaded to about 10% opacity then either textured or colored form the desired effect. Fist sphere is at a distance of 5 then the next 9 are at 10, 15, 20, etc. What happens with this is that the objects get less vissable the further they go till after sphere 8 or so they are faint shadows.

For a moving smoke like fog effect just stick on a animated smoke texture to the first few spheres.