Blitz Collision Mesh Optimizations

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz Collision Mesh Optimizations

Biggles(Posted 2004) [#1]
Does anyone know how blitz3d sorts through possible collision outcomes. Does blitz first check for Entity then Mesh then surface then Face. If the order is something like the above Gridding a Mesh into seperate Surfaces should speed up the collision detection rapidly as long as the surface count remains proportional to the total face count of the mesh. Otherwise I would be better off gridding up a large single entity into unique entitys.

Perhaps Blitz grids large Surfaces internaly allready ?

All guess work at the moment, But the aplication would be handy for large modeled terrain meshes.

Cheers

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
I don't know the answer to your question, however, you can simplify collisions by creating very low poly versions of your entities and parenting your full poly version to the simple version. Then entity alpha 0 the low poly version and test all collisions against the low poly rather than the high poly.

The result is faster (although slightly less accurate) collisions.

Biggles(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks for the tip Rob I'll definatly go down the low poly collision mesh path. Another question relating to the first post though. When blitz does check for collision at Face level, does it have a buffer size for how many faces it can check against before it has to upload the next set of faces.

If there where . It would be a magic number for the size of a grid.

Mabey i should do some trails to see if griding will help?
I'll post up some results if there is no difinative answer.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2004) [#4]
Try this http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=12

It will create low poly convex hulls of your models.