Open Source FPS Project Awakened!!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Open Source FPS Project Awakened!!!

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#1]
In order to foster more Community involvement and move the project forward, I've released my stranglehold on Project PLASMA FPS 2004. I was consumed by my vision of the ultimate Blitz3D FPS Engine. I apologize to all of those that I may have offended.

The engine has taken a new direction, building on top of the FPSNet/BOTFPSNet Framework by Jeremy Alessi, Smiff, and others. Visit PPF2K4 Thread to see the latest developments. We do ask that code contributors follow the simple guidelines here.

Now, lets get building that "Kick Ass" FPS Engine!

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
I apologize to all of those that I may have offended.

Offended? No. But you sure as heck seem to have wasted a lot of time.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
I would suggest taking a look at the alien breed threads. After all, alien breed is an T(hird)PS if there is such a thing. A lot of the code we've written for that is ideal for a FPS it won't take a lot to convert from 2D into 3D. The scripting part of AB is very powerful and means any number of puzzles could be created using the commands we've already got.

We have been working towards the soft code everything route, although this is proving to be tricky with the weapons.

Anyway... Just a thought.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#4]
Rob, thanks for the input. Will check out AB.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yes, it would be rather neat if in the AB code, you simply had a render() function to draw the world view in 3D (hud, inventory, intex system can stay as is). And then you include either "PPFPS-AB.bb" or "AB2D.bb", both holding the render() function which then calls whatever's appropriate...hrmmmm...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
There's no good reason why not... most if not all of the collision is done through calculation rather than 2D graphic functions so everything should be in place to make it work...

The trickiest thing would be to construct the level mesh from the map data.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#7]
Agreed, although I imagine the neatest way to do that is have the editor compile the mesh for you (allowing you to tweak it afterwards if necessary), rather than on loading in the game.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#8]
Actually thinking about this you could create a bunch of prefab meshes, one for each tile, then you'd just addmesh all the same together to keep them to a single surface. You'd probably use the vis boundries to form chunks of mesh so blitz's camera will vis out anything behind the camera and out of camera range keeping the framerate at a decent level by not rendering the whole level each frame.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#9]
hm, doesn't make it much of an open source fps project does it? More like a open source alien breed addition.
And I fail to see how the differences are purely cosmetic, unless you're aimming for one super-ficial shooter. Physics? Nades? Up/Down (Jump), crouching to name but a few.

my advice, start a fresh fps, please. I'd actually love to add to an fps, done in the same STYLE as the alien breed one(I.e no over-management. Creative freedom.)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#10]
I'd like to think that the two projects can continue independently. i.e. it's more that the alien breed project uses the FPS engine for rendering, but the FPS project can be used on it's own too. In fact, it's likely the alien breed project would use relatively little of the functionality in the FPS to achieve this.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yeah that sounds good. I just saw rob's original idea to mean using the same code-base logic wise but with a differant renderer. Which would have been hard, without comprising the 3d side.

Actuallying doing it similarly(In concept) in 3d i see no problems with. No one here ever play the actual alien breed 3d? might be good to get it on an emulator. back to the gaming roots should have it.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#12]
My original thought was lift sections out of the AB code to use in the FPS project, like the scripting for example, as this is very powerful. Also a lot of the problems we've encountered with the AI, processing visible aliens only etc are all lessons that can be used within the FPS project. The rest was getting somewhat sidetracked :)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#13]
I remember playing ab3d. Was quite good from what I recall...