Surface Transitions from water to air

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Surface Transitions from water to air

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#1]
Anyone have a good effect for smoothly transfering from water to air? Like when swimming and sticking head out of water.

I already have a way of disabling underwater fog effects. I also use a SkyCone that extends form Water Surface + 100 to the sea floor, but will probably switch it to a sphere centered on the camera and just hide it with tereain and what not( like surounig the enitire game area with a giant flipped cube strting at the surface and decending to the seafloor. Hmm no that I think of it, that would also make the transition easier as I could tecture the cube to give a illusion of a clearer but not totally clear distant view.

Anyway, I would be really interested in some ideas from you people.

I have made a huge amount of progress on the UW-demo that now includes Buoyancy system( only physics so far ) that controles the descent rate of objects based on the standard 64 pounds pe cubic foot of displacement of an object - the objects weight, so yes, objects can float and sink at varying rates based on two simple variables.

The Fog system is now in its own set of functions, and I have used upto 20 layers of fog with no real vissable performance hit. The more layers the smoother it all lookes.

Now to find a place to host the demo for easy download, since I now use Models for objects and terrain.

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#2]
Woot, found a simple solution, using a flipped cube.

Basicly I place the cube uderwater level ( starting at Y=0.0 ) and extending on the Y scale to MaxDepth + 1. The X and Z
are scaled larg enough to be outside of max fog range and inside max camera range.

The effect is a foggy view underwater that apears to get clearer as you aproach the surface. Since all fog is off by
the time you break the surface your view extends to the horizon ( well about 1500 feet(500 units) anyway. )

I also added better fog control, support for skyshpere above water, and a couple mesh objects like a sailing ship ( witch I will use later for AI pathing tests) and some pillars.

Now to code the item dropper so I can add more complex things like old sunken ships and buildings, and try to add
some animals and plants. The animals will run on the pathing AI. All and all this is starting to shape up real nice. I even expect the network code to be in place by early next week ( this is actually the easy part for me. ).

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#3]
any pic or demo where we can see this? sounds interesting

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#4]
Will gladly post a pick as soon as I have a web site to host from. When I get the website I will supply the code and models in a nice Zip format for people to play with. Its not planned for any commercial project, so I don't care what people do with it. :)

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#5]
well I can host it for you, just send it to me and ill send you back the link
cgi008@...