camera AB blend

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/camera AB blend

Akat(Posted 2004) [#1]
i wanna do a cutscene in realtime like metal gear solid type... n i have many cameras setup inside my scene... how do i switch my camera just like that to make it more scenic view just like watching a pre-rendered video... and also how do i blend 2 camera view in between switching camera A to B view (view A gradually fade 100%-0% and the same time view B fade 0%-100%)

Chi3f Stadi(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi Akat,

i wrote some functions which may help you setting up a cutscene. But it does not provide you with such a blend function.

Link:
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=kstadler03242004174523&comments=no

Sunteam Software(Posted 2004) [#3]
To do a fade I would assume you need 3 cameras, two of them are you original and destination scenes and the third is used to display the fade. What you would do is render your normal original and destination scenes and grab the renders to place on sprites in front of camera 3. To actually fade just fade one sprite out and one sprite in (EntityAlpha should do it).

Hope that helps.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#4]
You should only need two, really - one for the first clip, then the second for the second clip, which renders to a textured quad in front of the first camera. After the dissolve, switch cameras seamlessly and get rid of the first... (I think!)

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#5]
Here I whipped this up.
Hope it helps.

I'll try adding a wipe effect to it later.

dmaz(Posted 2004) [#6]
here you go... not fast.

edit: Now very fast..... store the temp texture in vram with flag 256. this can be done because the program is using a straight copyrect

Graphics3D 800,600,0,0
AmbientLight 200,200,200
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

;--------------------
camera1 = CreateCamera()
HideEntity camera1
tex1 = CreateTexture(GraphicsWidth(),GraphicsHeight(),256)

camera2 = CreateCamera()
TurnEntity camera2,0,180,0
HideEntity camera2
tex2 = CreateTexture(GraphicsWidth(),GraphicsHeight(),256)

fadecam = CreateCamera()
PositionEntity fadecam,3000,0,0
HideEntity fadecam

;--------------------
cone = CreateCone()
MoveEntity cone,0,0,5
EntityColor cone,255,0,0

cube = CreateCube()
MoveEntity cube,-1,0,-5
EntityColor cube,0,255,0

fadesprite1 = CreateSprite()
fadesprite2 = CreateSprite()
PositionEntity fadesprite1,3000,0,1
PositionEntity fadesprite2,3000,0,1
EntityTexture fadesprite1,tex1 : EntityFX fadesprite1,1
EntityTexture fadesprite2,tex2 : EntityFX fadesprite2,1

;--------------------
i#=0
d#=.01
While Not KeyHit(1)
	TurnEntity cone,2,1,2
	TurnEntity cube,2,2,1

i=i+d
	If i>1 Then d=-d:i=1
	If i<0 Then d=-d:i=0
	EntityAlpha fadesprite1,0+i
	EntityAlpha fadesprite2,1-i

RenderCamera camera1,tex1
	RenderCamera camera2,tex2
	RenderCamera fadecam

Flip ;False ;uncomment false to not wait for vwait
Wend
End

Function RenderCamera(camera%,texture=False)
	ShowEntity camera
	RenderWorld
	HideEntity camera
	If texture
		CopyRect 0,0,GraphicsWidth(),GraphicsHeight(),0,0,BackBuffer(),TextureBuffer(texture)
	EndIf
End Function

dmaz(Posted 2004) [#7]
Phil beat me to it... but the vram flag works with his example too.

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hmm, Here I made a couple of minor changes.
VRAM for starters, thanks dmaz, I forgot about that one.
And also forgot to make the projector fullbright in case there is no light shining on it.

Just use this code now

dmaz(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yeah, I almost forgot about that too... Now all we need is a nice generic function that can be called with 2 camera's or something. so a game loop would be something like

blah

if fade
RenderFade cam1,alpha1,cam2,alpha2
else
RenderWorld
endif
flip

Phil, up for that ;)

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#10]
well mine works a bit different.
if there is no fading it will only render the needed camera anyway.

But I can make it into a function for sure.
Give me 10 mins.

[edit]
Make that a few hours.
Got busy here all of a sudden :-)
[/edit]

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#11]
OK here are my routines.

First is the Include file. Save this as "FaderInclude.bb"
Here are the functions:

FadeSetup (LockCameras,[FadeSpeed],[InitialCamera])

This routine will make 2 global cameras called Fade_Cam1 and Fade_Cam2

LockCameras when True will make Fade_Cam1 the parent entity to Fade_Cam2

FadeSpeed sets the speed of the fade.
This is stored in the global variable Fade_Speed
Default value is 10. Accepts any number>0

InitialCamera sets the first camera we will see in the scene.
Defaults to Fade_Cam1
Acceptable values are 1 and 2

RenderFade (DestinationCamera,[tween])

This routine will render your scene exactly like Blitz3D except that it will
fade to the destination camera every call. Should work with tweening as well.
Once the destination camera is reached the routine will only render this camera.

DestinationCamera is the camera we want to see. This can be changed anytime during
a fade.
Acceptable Values are 1 and 2

tween is the tween value passed to the standard RenderWorld.
This defaults To 1 like Blitz.

And here is my previous example now using the new functions.

dmaz(Posted 2004) [#12]
Great, but I don't like giving over the camera setup. Shouldn't FadeSetup just set up the projector? How about the user define the fade camera's as any camera and then just pass those? So your RenderFade would except 2 real cameras and just fade between them base on which was first. Also FadeSetup doesn't do anything with Fade_Speed, that should also be a param to RenderFade.

cam1=createcamera()
cam2=createcamera()
cam3=createcamera()
FadeSetup()
RenderFade(cam1,cam3,speed)  ; RenderFade(from_camera,to_camera,speed,[tween])

then later back again
RenderFade(cam3,cam1,speed)

don't want to step on your toes ;) but wouldn't that be more cleaner? also having speed in RenderFade allows the programmer to pass a nice sin wave in for speed so you can get a nice speedup and slowdown to the effect... much more versatile.

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#13]
Well you can do whatever you like with it now :-)

Personally I am quite happy with it.
I did it in the routine mainly because the projector needs to be attached to camera 2.
What diff does it make if the user makes the cameras or the routine? The user still has access to both cameras.

I wanted to keep RenderFade as simple as possible hence why i put fade_speed in the setup.

If you want to vary the speed of the fade just modify the Fade_Speed variable. It is a global.

dmaz(Posted 2004) [#14]
Right I understand, I hope this doesn't come off wrong. Just that when building shared routines/libraries is good practice to distance yourself from the programmer’s main code. it should be all rolled up into a little black box.

The shared functions shouldn't make any requirements on the programmers main code if possible. The programmer should be able to do everything(mostly) through exported functions and not have to rely on changing the guts. Now I understand that Blitz3D holds us back a little here because of it dependencies on globals but the practice is sound and just makes for cleaner routines and programs.

So the reason that the user makes the cameras instead of the routine is because it's the user's program and you never know what they will be doing with cameras or how they will be configuring them. For instance, your routine does not work for the original question in which Akat stated that there were many cameras defined and he wanted to fade between any two.

Those were/are just some suggestions, I didn't/don't mean any offense. :)

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#15]
No offense taken..at all !!

Sorry if my comments came across rude. That wasn't my intention.

I was just saying why I did it the way I did.
I agree with you on alot of points.

So when I have added extra features to it(wipes, dissolves etc), I will repost my new version. OK :-)

dmaz(Posted 2004) [#16]
hey great, no worries. :)

Akat(Posted 2004) [#17]
wo... the thread become battle a bit - great cooperation guys (no battle actually)... i could use it - and by the way, inside metal gear solid snake eater: this girl said that in future there will be realtime movie which is u can control it like switch the camera angle and multiple ending path... i give a hint, im working on it now, at least im one of the first who doing it in future... now the storyboard are done and all of the scenes... only left the programming part which i can put ur guys codes there... thanx a lot! u got the credit by now...