Walking over an entity

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Walking over an entity

Canali(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi guys.
I just worked a bit with ALE and decided to test how to use the terrain into a game.

Can someone show me a good way of moving a mesh on the terrain surface?

ALE exports a B3D object, so, essentially, I would have to make an entity (player) follow another entity surface (the B3D entity).
Obviously being able to let the player move only if the pattern is not to steep.

Could anyone show a little example?
(Even a box walking over an entity surface)

Thanks!

Sunteam Software(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well the first question I have is whether your using a Blitz3D terrain or a mesh for your surface? It can make all the difference ya know :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Check the normals of the collision. If there are above are certain range, then the slope is too steep :o)

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#4]
Perhaps he needs a simpler answer.
Both the mesh terrain and the player need the correct entity properties (so they won't pass through each other).
Entity{PickMode entity,2 etc.

Then set your player above the terrain/mesh and apply a little gravity: TranslateEntity player,0,-1,0 every loop.

Best way get your head around this is (again) to study Mark Sibly's 'Castle' demo.

Canali(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well.
I'll check Mark's Siblys Castle Demo.

Maybe it will answer my problems.
BTW the terrain is a B3D mesh because ALE exports to BLITZ only in this way (or as a .X).

So I don't know how to make my entity (the player) follow all the surfaces of the B3D mesh that is used for the terrain.