just a lame idea for lighting

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/just a lame idea for lighting

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm just writing down an idea I had, I don't know if it would even work, but if someone can figure out NEthing from my li'l dodgey theory, please get back to me...
I was trying to think of a way to do realtime lighting like the kind seen in quake and unreal... I have made alot of threads I guess (and got nowhere :( ) But I was going for a walk today and an idea pooped into my head:
what if u rendered the camera twice, one with full bright (no lightmapping) and another with full lightmapping. U get the lightmapped screenshot, and place the image over the top of the full bright one, (get the image and draw the image... I know it would probably be to slow, but just an idea) then u mask the image, and cut out a certain color that isn't used in the game, Eg: fluro green or blue. These places would be full bright spheres (light balls), they would look like they are subtracting from the shadow... that's my idea... If NEone can think of how to pull it off, please inform me or test it out, post a demo (I dunno).
I know that even if this did work, it would be very dodgey, I know that, I've figured a ton of flaws, but I'd rather a dodgey realtime light then none at all... if NEone could try this out or try and improve on the theory, I'd be very happy.
Thanx for reading NEhow.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#2]
Just wondering.. what is your idea of "realtime" lighting? Neither Quake nor Unreal have realtime lighting.

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#3]
I refur to Decal lighting
sorry about the misunderstanding

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#4]
kal I was thinking of another way...it's a rough idea but maybe somebody could figure it out.
Do a line pick if it's a torch or whatever (or a radius check if it's a sort of omni flash from a gun) and see what collisions occur. Get the polyogons UV's then locate the exact spot on the lightmap and draw a round white (or whatever colour) dot on to the lightmap realtime and then re-apply it to the game mesh....admittedly there are few problems in figuring out the exact throw from a light and the correct shape to be cast onto the lightmmap. This would give the effect of burning completely through shadows like a real light though.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#5]
Completely off topic, but that's the most interesting spelling of noone and nohow I've ever seen.

The idea sounds interesting.

Andy

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#6]
hehe... NEhow means anyhow
But thanx NEway...
I just wish I knew a fast enough way of pulling it off..
I'm kinda busy with art and a ragdoll editor
(which I REALLY have to get around too)

DrakeX(Posted 2004) [#7]
or you could hit the one extra key and type "any" instead of "NE". in fact, to type NE, you have to hold shift, so what do you gain? a reputation of being a l33t sp33k3r?

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#8]
Try and write proper English next time Kal - I think you may get more relevant comments to your post! Plus, filthy-ass Chav-speak does make you seem like you have the intellect of a pineapple slice, which I'm sure isn't the case!

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#9]
hehe... ok, I'll take your advice...
Jeez people are judgemental here!

Andy(Posted 2004) [#10]
>hehe... ok, I'll take your advice...
>Jeez people are judgemental here!

No, it's just that there are so many different nationalities on this board and none of them ever learned anglo-giberish in school. By not even attempting to write in english that we can understand, you come across as condescending and that means fewer people will reply to your topics even if they can help you.

Andy

Kalisme(Posted 2004) [#11]
True... Sorry peoples
Jeez I'm a prik at times.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#12]
naah ignore that , people 'are' judgemental 'round here. I found your post perfectly easy to understand.