Rolling a football downhill

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Rolling a football downhill

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey all!

I asked a similar question a couple of days ago, but I messed up the question so bad that even I didn't know how to answer it ^^

Anyway..

given the X,Y position of a sphere, how would you compute the rotations of this object if you were to move it around the x-y axis?

I use this expression for figuring out how much to rotate it if I move it in just the X or Y, but both at the same time messes up the rotation.

RotateX = sin(SphereX/(2*pi*radius))*360
RotateY = sin(SphereY/(2*pi*radius))*360

Anyone?

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#2]
like this?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=255

sswift(Posted 2004) [#3]
There's ball rolling code in the code archives. And I think you mean XZ plane. :-)

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#4]
yeah I probably mean that ^^ I get confused after working with 3DSMax for a while! ^^

I'll check it out, but I swear I scanned the whole code arcs.. :/

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#5]
Isn't a football a different shape than that of a normal ball? In this particular case, the only course of action would be to...er...go on a quest to...er...never mind. I quit.

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#6]
that's the first thing I thought too,... then I realised I was being a silly American thinking football meant Football! :)

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#7]
nope, this isn't what Im looking for.. I have to turn the ball in whole 360 degrees before I can "snap" i back into original rotation..

and yeah, its Soccer football not silly american football :)
oh wait.. all football is sucky!

Keep in mind I only need the actual rotation expressions as Im going to use it in 3DStudio Max..

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#8]
Well we have oval shaped American footy, and we have Oval shaped Aussie Rules Footy. I think you are outnumbered 2 to 1 :-)

No help at all to your question but !! (:-(

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#9]
hehe

well thanks anyway for clearing that up ^^