Culling problem...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Culling problem...

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#1]
Ok, i have a guy in my village that walks around. But because the walking is done all inside the b3d file (defined in 3ds), when you turn the camera away from the starting point the guy dissapears from view.

Is there a way to stop an object culling?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Is your guy skeletal animated? I'm guessing yes, because the culling of skeletal animated models is not based on the current deformed position of the mesh, only on the starting bind pose. Thus if the place the guy started at moves out of the camera's view the guy will disappear, even though the mesh's current location is still within the camera view.

Not that this solves your problem, but it helps to know what's causing the problem.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#3]
Does changing the near value for your camerarange have an effect?

DrakeX(Posted 2004) [#4]
if it IS the problem that jhocking described, perhaps you might be able to have two models - a "path" model that is just keyframed and is a pivot that moves around on the path that the guy walks, and the actual guy, who won't move, just walk and turn in place. then you could load the path object, load the man, attach it to the path object, and animate them both - bam, the guy moves around, animating, and doesn't disappear.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ok, my problem is the one jhocking described.
DrakeX:
I havnt played around with paths before in blitz, is there a sample somewhere that shows how to move a model along a path?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
Actually, I think he's just describing animating an object moving around the scene. This object isn't the walking person so it doesn't matter if this disappears; in fact, you will want to make it invisible in Blitz. Animate your man walking and turning as appropriate, but not actually moving around the scene. Then in code attach the man to this object, either by parenting or simply moving him every frame.