DirectX 9

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/DirectX 9

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#1]
..hi folks..my question is not exactly oriented on any problem..in fact, I'm wondering when Blitz3D will start to fly on DirectX9 API, if something like that is target for Blitz3D team..I mean, this piece of software is quite cool, and I will be more than happy to hear that Blitz3D will support DirectX9, or even newest in future..sooo..anyone can give me answer??

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yeah.. you should search a bit more- Blitz3D isnt going natively to DX9 but there are groups out there who are making wrappers... Hang around and see....

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#3]
..soo..it means, Blitz3D will fly on Dx9?? eeemm..thats coolll

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#4]
what exactly does the phrase "fly on" mean to you?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#5]
No it does not.
It is and will stay DX7.

If you want actual stuff you will need to use BlitzMax which will get a new 3D engine somewhere in the "near" future basing on OpenGL

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
If you want actual stuff you will need to use BlitzMax which will get a new 3D engine somewhere in the "near" future basing on OpenGL

Blitz itself might be staying DX7, but you won't need to use BlitzMax in order to use one of the DX9 engines. There are already a couple of them in early stages of development and more to come.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yepp but it isn't the original engine anymore but bypassing it ... adding an instability factor to it.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#8]
..soo...it means we will be able to use power of DX9 inside Blitz3D in "near" future, or what??

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#9]
Wrappers are add-ons written by other people that allow certain extended functionality. It is unlikely anyone will ever write a FULL DX9 wrapper for Blitz3D. If they could do that, then they're way too talented to be spending time on it anyway - they'd have a proper full-time programming job somewhere else. :p

Instead, what will happen, is wrappers may be written for certain functions or a group of functions in DX9. And they'll be slower than DX9 would be natively. B3D will never be fully DX9 compatiable, but you might be able to get some nice pixel-shader wrappers in the future. :)

+BlackD

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#10]
hmmm...it means its time to explore something what will be updated on time with present versions od DX, becouse this excellent Blitz3D will be real oldtimer...does anyone know any programming language such as Blitz3D, but supporting newest DX versions (except Darkbasic pro)...

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2004) [#11]
I asked the same thing a little while back in the thread "When will Blitz be updated".

Blitz mainly offers a stable platform for easy 3D creation on the DX7 framework, nifty features for later DX versions not being added. Though Blitz3D isn't being updated as other software is, galloping through new versions numbers every 6/12 months, but then it is stable and reliable. BlitzMax will be the next generation Blitz programming environment.

From what I hear, the languages that support later version of DirectX are unstable/buggy. The question to really ask is, what do you need from DX9 that you'd risk troubled coding?

I would like to see pixel/vertex shader support because rendering effects is a like of mine and I want to use per-pixel lighting 'coz it's sooo much nicer than vertex illumination, and quick and effecitent hardware shadow support would be nice too. I'm not clued up to as what more you'd want from DX7 though in terms of it already being able to produce interactive 3D worlds and most users haven't got the time or capability to make the most of advanced DX9 rendering techniques that you'd see on the latest games, produced by professional experts with professional artists at their disposal.

REDi(Posted 2004) [#12]
Purebasic can access the DX9 api, but be warned its not the easiest beast to tame.

Saying that, You have to use DX9 in pb the same way you would in C++, so you might as well learn/use C++ and gain the extra speed.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#13]
From what I hear, the languages that support later version of DirectX are unstable/buggy. The question to really ask is, what do you need from DX9 that you'd risk troubled coding?

That's true, but it's pure coincidence. DarkBasic is not buggy because it uses DX9, it was just as buggy when it was DX8. There are a number of extremely stable engines using DX9 out there, they just don't happen to have basic programming languages attached to them ( well one or two interface with VB.Net. ) Not yet anyway.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#14]
So, it means Blitzmax will be based on Dx9 or what? generally speaking, i am okay with Blitz3D, but i still thinking that DX9 is not without reason DX9 and its still bigger difference between version 9 and 7...soo...I'm not expert but I belive serious difference exists..

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#15]
No, BlitzMax will be based on OpenGL. Current versions of OpenGL are just as advanced as DX9 though. :)

Yes, differences do exist between DX7 and DX9, but if you don't know what they are then you're never going to use them. ;) Even if you had access to DX9 APIs, what are you going to do with them that you can't do in DX7? Once you can answer that question, THEN you're in a position to start complaining Blitz3D isn't enough.

+BlackD

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#16]
there is of course no reason that someone couldn't write a DX9 lib (useable only on windows and linux with a stable winex install).

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#17]
Even if you had access to DX9 APIs, what are you going to do with them that you can't do in DX7? Once you can answer that question, THEN you're in a position to start complaining Blitz3D isn't enough.

Point sprites for speedy particle systems, vertex shaders for skeletal animation that isn't dog slow, pixel shaders for bloom and all those lovely post processing effects that are horrendously slow when you have to fake them. Can I complain yet? :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#18]
..mm..but in BlitzMax, syntax will be similar as in Blitz3D??

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#19]
shh syb.. i was talking to subzero. ;) If HE can't answer that question then HE doesn't need DX9. Personally, I'm about ready to kill for it. ;)

+BlackD

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#20]
hey BlackD..mmm..well..I CANT answer, but i CAN learn as everyone here, othervise, if we leave right to learn and ask even stupid questions only for experts like you, probably population of peoples whos trying to reach some level in programming will be quite poor...anyway, i am still not sure why you pointing my question on personal level...if you have something to say, then doit...if not, then really you no have reason to put conditions on question i asked before...anyway, thanks to all guys whos try to give some answers..

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#21]
One thing that people often never discuss when comparing OpenGL and DirectX is that DirectX isn't just about graphics like OpenGL is.
DirectX also handles Sounds, Music, Inputhandling, Networking and Resourcemanagement.
It also contains ALOT of math & meshmanipulation helper functions.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#22]
Ahh subzero. You misunderstand. I asked "what does fly-on mean to you", because I was trying to answer your question, but didn't understand it. I still don't know what it means. :) Then I posted about how wrappers are more likely in answer to another question. THEN I posted about OGL instead of DX9 in answer to ANOTHER question. Then I just ask if you really need DX9 functionality yet. Don't get all offended. I've tried to help and was simply curious what you are doing with it. Besides, I'm not expert. Check out my signature. ;)

+BlackD

Naughty Alien(Posted 2004) [#23]
ohh..in that case i apologize BlackD....my area is microcontrollers and hardware, but, I'm found Blitz3D very useful for few of my projects...anyway, I apologize if i was hard..sorry man..