Thruster sprite (help asked)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Thruster sprite (help asked)

BerndWill(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I am trying to get life into my space ship. The space itself is modelled and textured. I want to have a number of sprites "firing" my thruster. See one example picture of the thruster animation here:

I want to fly around the space ship while the thruster keeps burning in the direction (i.e. the sprite must turn as my camera turns). How do I apply / pivot the thruster picture to the space ship engine ?

Are there any tutorials or examples showing a sequence of thruster pics mounted on a space ship engine while the camera is flying around ?

Thansk for help !
Bernd

BerndWill(Posted 2004) [#2]
One comment: Since I will have dozens of ships in the space game, there is no chance for extensive particle engines. So, I choose sprites as base for the thruster pics.

Is this the correct decision ?

Thanks, Bernd

semar(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hum, I don't know if I've really got what you are saying, correct me if I'm wrong:

You want to use a 3D sprite for the thruster effect; that sprite should be in some way located behind the ship, so to give the impression that the ship has a flame behind.

That flame - which should be a 3D sprite - should be rotated accordingly with the ship rotation (not really clear what you mean with the camera here).

If this is right, you need a couple of things:
- parent a pivot to the ship, so that when the ship moves, the pivot moves accordingly
- put the sprite thrust at the pivot coordinates
- rotate the sprite accordingly with the ship degrees, using RotateSprite command.

Anyway, in my opinion, using a particle system would make the whole thing much more realistic in a 3D world, rather than a static sprite which rotates..

Hope it has sense for you,
Sergio.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2004) [#4]
Parent the Sprite to a pivot which is at the thruster position and change the "SpriteViewMode" so that the sprite can move independently to the camera...

BerndWill(Posted 2004) [#5]
Do you have any example BB source for me that explains / shows a particle thruster that is mounted onto the ships back ?

Thanks, Bernd

semar(Posted 2004) [#6]
Do you have any example BB source for me that explains / shows a particle thruster that is mounted onto the ships back ?

Hi Bernd,
you have it already. If you take a look in the B3D examples folder from your B3D installation directory, some of that sample could already help you. Have a look also in the code archive, which I consider a rather good mine gold.

Sergio.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#7]
Check the Galactic source code for a simple, "particle exhaust/thrusters" system.

This system creates jets of varying colour and length and transparency relative to speed/engine size. The jets create a trail, leaving an arc if the craft banks/dives etc.

EDIT-

changing the spriteviewmode may not be a great idea in this instance, depending on how your spacecraft moves in relation to the camera...