Hang on "End" ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Hang on "End" ?

martonic(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi! There are several threads about lockups and crashes currently underway. This is related.

Fairly often, the "End" statement in my Blitz3d programs, rather than exiting to Windows, causes everything to "hang up". Sometimes, Ctl-Alt-Delete then brings up the task manager and I can kill the offending program; other times, it does not, and all I can do to get out is to disconnect the power cable from my computer.

This happens intermittently in all modes including debug and not, compiled and not. In Windowed modes I can get control back but in full-screen modes, things are worse.

Do other people have this same problem and if so, has anyone found a solution for it?

Thanks.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#2]
i find out of bounds arrays a problem.... they cause my programs to lock up on exit- do you get any other odd behaveour in debug mode?

martonic(Posted 2004) [#3]
No, I'm not seeing any bugs or errors reported in debug mode, just the intermittent hang on exit.

JKP(Posted 2004) [#4]

Sometimes, Ctl-Alt-Delete then brings up the task manager and I can kill the offending program; other times, it does not, and all I can do to get out is to disconnect the power cable from my computer.

It's no surprise you're having problems with your computer if you are pulling the power cable out of the back on a regular basis. Most people just use the reset button.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#5]
Write some sample programs to see if you can narrow down the trouble spot.

Better yet, copy&paste parts of your program over to a new file to test parts of it at a time.

martonic(Posted 2004) [#6]

It's no surprise you're having problems with your computer if you are pulling the power cable out of the back on a regular basis. Most people just use the reset button.

Yes - but when it hangs, the reset button doesn't work.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
Maybe your writing into used memory, like overwriting an array or something.

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hold the power button down for ten seconds. It should shut off then.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#9]
The reset button doesn't work sometimes? The reset button "soft restart" is nothing to do with software, its a hard-circuit in your BIOS. If your reset button ever stops working, it doesnt' mean your program or windows is buggy, it means your motherboard is fecked.. excuse my french. Which would explain why it's hanging in the first place. Try running the program on another comp and sees if it hangs.

+BlackD