''Regular'' vs. Quad sprites?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/''Regular'' vs. Quad sprites?

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#1]
What is the actual difference that makes the kind of sprites SpriteControl 'manually' builds (adding vertexes) be QUAD, whereas regular ones (CreateSprite(..) are...?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#2]
WillKoh,

Surface Count! You can add QUADS to a single surface manually. Unlike, a single surface for each SPRITE. It has proven that lower surface counts improve rendering performance.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#3]
But the sprite-control uses only one surface...

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#4]
sprite-control uses only one surface...

Not sure what you mean, please elaborate.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#5]
There's also the possibilty blitz sprites use point sprites in dx..which means each sprite is only 1 vert of data to feed the gpu, rather than 4/6.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#6]
I've ran performance test in the past that proved time and time again that single surface systems to be faster than Bltiz Sprite based systems which is why i'm moving my reactors (particles), grass, decals, and gui systems over to a single surface.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
Sprites are slow if your going to be using alot of them. Even when using copyentity. Mind i'm talking like 50 or more onscreen :o) Single surface is miles faster :o)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#8]
There's also the possibilty blitz sprites use point sprites in dx..which means each sprite is only 1 vert of data to feed the gpu, rather than 4/6.

They don't. Point sprites weren't introduced until DX8. Sure would be nice to have point sprites though.

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#9]
Last time I checked, Blitz sprites didn't mirror properly. Another point against 'em.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#10]
What is a QUAD, really?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#11]
two adjacent triangles that form square/rectangle polygon.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#12]
Sprites are handy since you don't have to orient them to the camera manually. But they don't support Fog, so in some cases you'll be forced to use quads anyway (eg. smoke in a landscape with fog). I first had Sprites for the HUD in my engine, but then replaces them with Quads after the introduction of the underwater mode that contains cameraFog.

The number of surfaces surely matters. If you have 20'000 Sprites, this will be VEEEEERY slow, because the Renderer has to handle 20'000 Materials. It seems like the hardware uses Materials as the basement of a partial mesh: it takes a material and asks "ok, what Plygons belong to this material", so a surface is a kind of material plus the Trianlges that are using this material.
You see, the more materials, the more complicated the whole process is for the hardware.

But keep in mind you shouldn't reduce the surface count at all costs! Best would be to use clusters of surface-sharing Quads. This way any cluster that is behind the camera or is out of the camerarange could be ignored and skipped from rendering. Because IF your Mesh is a singlesurface mesh and is all around you, everything will be rendered, also the parts behind your back or those that are out of range.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#13]
That's what I figured (*please* look at 'My SpriteControl' post, btw) but how else would you make a sprite? What strange method does blitz use?

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#14]
Blitz doesn't use a strange method it create a quad for each sprite. The 'problem' being that each quad has its own surface which is a kind of 'state change' for the gpu. When you roll your own sprite system you can pack many sprites onto the same surface which is much quicker.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#15]
>Aha. So how do you determine which is showing? The original sprite control (as well as my attempt) creates a surface (and mesh) for each sprite as far as I can see, though they're attached to a single pivot.

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#16]
Not sure what you are asking. If you are creating a new surface for each quad then the chances are your system will be slower than Blitz's. Attaching them to a pivot simply gives you all the disadvantages of a single surface system and non of the advantages (speed).

aab(Posted 2004) [#17]
so, aree we talking about making one large sprite, with a texture of moving particles (eg: manually coded)?

John Pickford(Posted 2004) [#18]
No. We are talking about one model (mesh) where pairs of triangle form rectangles (quads) and are moved independantly so they appear to be separate objects.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#19]
PointSprites have/had a lot of restrictions... when we used them in 3DMark2001 they couldn't be bigger than 128*128 on screen (some cards), and of course they all have same rotation etc. so there are only very few cases where they are actually usable.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#20]
Are single-surface sprites possible with pixel-perfection?

aab(Posted 2004) [#21]

No. We are talking about one model (mesh) where pairs of triangle form rectangles (quads) and are moved independantly so they appear to be separate objects.

Of Course!
I'd never thought of that... Using individual sprites IS far too slow, but this would speed up in many terms.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#22]
Was the No in reply to my Q? Quads as such do not prohibit pixel-perfection you know....

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#23]
How could he have answered your question before you asked it? He's not THAT good.

EOF(Posted 2004) [#24]
Are single-surface sprites possible with pixel-perfection?
Yes. skidracer posted a 'pixie' demo with pixel-perfect quads.
I incorporated that into my SpriteMaster routines.
See Image Packer link.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#25]
>>How could he have answered your question before you asked it? He's not THAT good<<

Sorry, I didn't notice "No(...)" was quoted...

[JimB]: does it (pixie/imagepacker) use *multiple* quads, all of which can be shown pixel-perfect, but all of them attached to the same surface? That would be something to implement in 'my version' of sprite control (or something to that effect).

Another thing is that i'd like "custom isolate" meaning that the visible portition can be changed to any (in pixels) rectangular area of a quads' texture, (rather than only changing x,y-"frame") while maintaining pixel-perfection.

EOF(Posted 2004) [#26]
does it (imagepacker) use *multiple* quads, all of which can be shown pixel-perfect, but all of them attached to the same surface?

Yes. SpriteMaster (included with ImagePacker) uses packs of images. A pack is simply a texture full of images with a reference file which tells SpriteMaster where each image is located in the texture.

Every sprite (quad) you extract from the pack shares the same surface.

i'd like "custom isolate" meaning that the visible portition can be changed to any (in pixels) rectangular area of a quads' texture
You can do this in SpriteMaster by supplying optional 'region' parameters.
A few commands have these 'region' parameters to allow you to target a specific part of the image.
Here is an example which is included in the ImagePacker zip:

You can also use ChangeSprite to change the image of an existing sprite to that of another image within the texure, again, targeting a 'region' with optional parameters.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#27]
Are there actually multiple quads or is it just that you 'isolate' a particular part of the texture to display that as the image/sprite? The latter *is* of course exactly what I said I wanted - I know - but I've imagined using both, were one quad could be one bunch of images (or a single big-one, depending on how you treat it) and other would be another bunch of images. Then it struck me - there's no way to texture a particular quad, is it?

EOF(Posted 2004) [#28]
Multiple quads. The quad does isolate an area of the texture. Basically, this is what happens:

Using ImagePacker you gather all of your sprites into ONE image (texture). This 'pack' of images is saved as a standard image with a definitions file.

With SpriteMaster you load the pack and extract whatever image you want. The image is displayed via a quad which shares the surface of the packs texture.

The quad merely points to the area in the texture containing the image (using UV offsets).

You save on memory this way by only having ONE texture loaded but hundreds/thousands of quads each showing a portion of the texture.

The optional 'region' parameters above simply allow you to pick a small part of an image.

EOF(Posted 2004) [#29]
This might help visualise things a litte better.
Here is a saved pack of images from ImagePacker (scaled from 512x512):

With SpriteMaster you can extract as many images from that pack as you like:

pack=LoadPack("pack1.png")

sprite1.smSprite=GetPackedSprite("sun",pack)
sprite2.smSprite=GetPackedSprite("rock",pack)
sprite3.smSprite=GetPackedSprite("dice",pack)

PositionSprite sprite1,100,200
PositionSprite sprite2,140,245
PositionSprite sprite3,300,100

All of the extracted images share the same surface.
The definitions file saved along with the texture tells SpriteMaster whereabouts the referenced image is located (as well as animation and border settings).

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#30]
SpriteMaster seems great, it does do all I want except it relies on PNG for alpha. I made something with a separate "alpha-indicator-image", because I got no good freeware PNG editor (you know of one?). Btw, something made me wonder: Can particular surfaces be textured separately? Just trying to get everything about 3D I can...

Can I use ImagePacker/spritemaster/other tools on the page of that link without paying anyone, even if a should make a commercial product?

EOF(Posted 2004) [#31]
Yup. They are free to use. Just a mention in the credits will do for me.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#32]
I'm seeking a easy to use single surface sprite/quad lib. A Library with functions equivalent to Blitz's Entity Commands (ie: EntityTranslate, EntityRotate, etc). Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#33]
I use GIMP for editing PNG images. Its free and cross platform.

www.gimp.org

EOF(Posted 2004) [#34]
Hi Frank.
I have tried to make SpriteMasterPro commands/functions easy to remember.

PositionSprite
RotateSprite
ResizeSprite
FlipSprite

etc ...

The hard part I suppose is understanding how packs work and extracting the sprites you require.
There are lots of examples to play with though.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#35]
JimB,

SpriteMaster looks very good. I will provide more feedback after checking it out more thoroughly. Great Editor and Documentation. Excellent Work!!!

SpriteMaster Lib will have to modify to support 3D coords, for 3D particles. Are the future plans to add this functionality?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#36]

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#37]
Jim

SpriteMaster renders 3D sprites pixel perfect. The clarity is unbelievable. There is a performance impact when positioning the sprites. Seeking some optimization routines.

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#38]
Quick questions for JimB:

Just started trying SpriteMaster - very nice. But I do have a few questions ...

I can't seem to set the draw order of the sprites using "EntityOrder Sprite\c\mesh, Order". They just seem to draw in their own order regarless of what I set.

And attempts to hide / show sprites using "HideEntity Sprite\c\mesh" and "ShowEntity Sprite\c\mesh" cause all sprites to vanish for a second then re-appear - I presume this is an artifact of it using a single surface. Should I just free and re-create sprites instead?

Other that that it's very nice indeed :-)

EOF(Posted 2004) [#39]
Hello HappyCat,

I can't seem to set the draw order of the sprites ...

Yep. A common question. Check this thread

With regards hiding/showing sprites ...
The quick way to hide/show a sprite is to move it off screen and back to it's location. Or, as you say, free it up and extract it again. Doing the latter will make the sprite pop in front of the others sharing the surface though.

SpriteMaster Lib will have to modify to support 3D coords, for 3D particles. Are the future plans to add this functionality?
Mmm... I don't know. There are so many particle librarys around.

There is a performance impact when positioning the sprites
In SpriteMaster PositionSprite adjusts 4 verticies in a mesh. I read somewhere it may be quicker to clear the surface then add all the sprites again. Apparently, adjusting the verts requires the whole mesh to be re-sent to the graphics card. Not sure.

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#40]
Thanks. I've (sucessfully) used the "move it offscreen" approach - great :-)

Next thing I came across was - I'd set the blend mode of some of the sprites to additive blending, but upon creating the 3rd such sprite they all lose their additive blending. Any ideas?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#41]
Image Packer & SpriteMaster will make an appearance in PPF2K4. I have made some modifications to the library (mostly label name changes) so the library can integrated into the engine without conflict. I have made additions to extend 3D functionality for particles, lensflares, and decals.

There are some performance issues in translating 'smSprites' that will have to be addressed. More to come.