random crashes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/random crashes

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#1]
Does anyone get random crashes, with no error message?
Its definetly not a lack of memory.

It sometimes says "Illegal instruction"

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
I've never heard of "illegal instruction".
Usually the only error messages to pop up are "memory access violations".

What is your program doing/attempting to do?

Are you sure you can't narrow it down a little more? Does it happen only while the title screen shows or has never happened while the title screen was showing. Those kinds of things.

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yup.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#4]
Is this Blitz, or Windows?

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#5]
it happens at different unconnected moments of the game, within different loops, it seems dependent on the amount of time I am playing it. around 15 minutes.

I am using EndGraphics to get rid of all images in memory (occasionally) which may be doing something to the stability (Windows 98)
but the crashes dont happen then.

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#6]
Nah, mines in the compiler itself. It's been tetchy since an update long ago but I just assumed it was atypical (ie prolly down to my particular blend of OS, drivers & hardware). The compiled apps themselves seem fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#7]
"Illegal instruction" sounds like an exception error to me. Never had that one before, myself.

I would suggest stress testing your RAM to make sure it's not faulty. It's a long shot, I know... :)

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hmm, its quite an old PC so maybe thats the problem,
although no other programs crash like this

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#9]
Are you using any weird 3rd party libs like BVM or somesuch?

gpete(Posted 2004) [#10]
Battlecruiser Millenium crashs everytime on Windows XP 8)

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#11]
no Im just using Nsprite, I think its probably Win98 not liking large usage of 'EndGraphics'. The next version of Nsprite will get rid of my need to use that command so Ill see how it goes.