finding y on mesh

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/finding y on mesh

Zephar123(Posted 2004) [#1]
ok you all know how the terrain y command works. well im making mesh for terrrain instead for obvios reason and I cnanot figure out how I find the y of the mesh. So that I can have a model start above the mesh at all times you know a y+20 or something. any ways any help is much appreciated.
Paul T. Silva

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#2]
Make the mesh pickable and use a linepick straight down. Position the mesh at the pickedx(),pickedy() etc.. coordinates.

Alternatively just use blitz inbuilt collisions and position then mesh at collisionx(), y, z etc...

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#3]
Use a line pick and then get the y value from pickedy()

linepick entityX(myobject),entityY(myobject),entityZ(myobject),entityX(myobject),entityY(myobject)-5000,entityZ(myobject)
pickedY() should now hold the Y position

edit: oops,... got beat to it. Forgot to mention the mesh needs to be pick-able

Zephar123(Posted 2004) [#4]
ok never messed with line pick but ill give it a try =)

Zephar123(Posted 2004) [#5]
is there a example somewhere on using line pick? as i cant find one with the docs for this im not 100% getting it

Matty(Posted 2004) [#6]
You can also calculate the position of any point on the terrain quite easily if the vertices are equally spaced in the x/z directions (ie it is made up of squares/rectangles all the same size in the x/z direction). Much faster than using a line pick.

Download this file and look for the .bb file "MeshTerrain.bb" that contains a method for calculating the height of the ground at any point in my mesh terrain:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gezeder/lloyd/GBS_Code.zip
(You may also need to include the globals.bb file if you wish to test this out..)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#7]
There's also a function in the code arcs that calculates the Y of a point on a triangle, given the X,Z coords of the point.

Zephar123(Posted 2004) [#8]
ok im a hair confuse heres what i put

LinePick EntityX(mterra),EntityY(mterra),EntityZ(mterra),EntityX(p\ent),EntityY(p\ent)-5000,EntityZ(p\ent)

i get the error that entity does not exist. which I dont understand because those are valid names to the entity. did i puntuate the line incoreectly?