Crackly Sound Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Crackly Sound Problem

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#1]
After I play a movie (OpenMovie,PlayMovie,CloseMovie) my ambient looping sounds are corrupted and play 'crackly'.
It doesn't matter if I delete all the sound resources, play the movie, then recreate the sounds after CloseMovie, all looping sounds from then on are crackly.
Has anyone else had this problem?

If you tell me that I have a crappy onboard sound chip, or that this is a known problem with DX, then I'll be happy.
Any advice?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#2]
i find that blitz cn sometimes consume too much CPU time- Use something simple: DELAY 1 somewhere in your main loop and it should improve- i had a similar problem, yes.. Delay 1 fixed it though...

it is usually when you have a software sound card, but as mine is a hardware card, there are obvious exceptions to that matter.

Panno(Posted 2004) [#3]
me too on an old board 5 k7s5a grrr.
a new soundcard wars not the solution

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yes, but the point is that even when the video is stopped and closed, and sounds reloaded, the crackly effect is there to stay. If I never open a video, there's no problem.
Anyone?

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#5]
I wonder if DirectShow audio is redirected through FMOD or DirectSound..?

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#6]
This is usually a codec issue. It will not only happen in Blitz. Try playing a midi file in Winamp (whoever has the crackly problem) then start clicking in IE and EXPLORER. Even those simple "click" sounds will send the midi output all crazy. On some people's comps, it'll happen in movies, or anything. To get around it in Blitz its a matter of closing the app and restarting (as Blitz doesn't do a clean restart of DirectSound just by stopping all playing channels - not Blitz's fault - most programs don't). In Winamp, simply stopping the file from playing does a clean restart (whereas PAUSEing it doesn't).

Recommendation: Try a clean install. If this is unfeasible, finding and uninstalling all the un-official sound codecs you have. (You might need a third party utility to help you do this - so hit google), then reinstalling official sound codecs. Packs like Nemo Codec Pack spell trouble. Sure a lot of people will swear by it, but if you're like me you've installed HUNDREDS of different versions of codecs on ur computer over the month and need to do a clean slate every now and then.

Of course this isn't the only thing that can cause the problem - bad drivers, old drivers, two incompatiable drivers for the same card, some other program running trying to take over the stream - all sorts, but codecs problems are the most common.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#7]
I agree with BlackD, i definatly sounds like a codec problem.

It could be that the codec for the sound and the codec for the movie dont like to work at the same time.

I have had a similar problem with using an older version of xvid.

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#8]
Once I installed Freelancer and the sound was all screwy, so I went and read the installation notes, and it said something along the lines of "Uninstall Nemo Codec Pack you idiot" and I was like "WTF.. how did the manual know..?" and whadda ya know, it fixed it. ;)

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#9]
"Packs like Nemo Codec Pack spell trouble"
Uh-oh....
Thanks guys. It's good to know that other people have had similar problems, and thanks for the explanations.
Do you think it would help if I Exec'ed a new Blitz window for the duration of the video, then shut it down (i.e. a separate running process) ?

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#10]
If you do, keep in mind that you can't have two gfx windows open at once (the newly created window will cause Blitz to lose the handle for the old one) - so if you do that, you may wish to look into a method of covering the desktop so you don't get desktop popups inbetween vids.

But, generally, it's not worth the trouble. If it's a codec related issue, like the aforementioned Nemo pack, then it's a user issue really and workarounds shouldn't be coded for things like that. imho

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yeah, I guess if I was full screen and tried to open another window (2D or 3D) then the usual chaos would happen.
Thanks to all for your input.