Lighting Question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Lighting Question

semar(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,
running the Paul Gerfen's light demo from the B3D samples, I wonder, how to get rid of the diagonal lines which appears on the cube surfaces when using spot lights ?

Image here

That diagonal lines are the separation between the triangles of each surface, and appears also when using only one light.

Is it possible to have a more homogeneous colouring on the surface ?

Thanks in advance,
Sergio.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#2]
you cant using blitz lights- they use vertex lighting and basically each trinagle is filled with fading colours from each vertex- this means you will get the giagonal line between the two triangles.

Look into lightmapping your level- its not as hard as you may think, if you have the right tools!

semar(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks, but the level lightmapping does not dynamic lightmapping, while the blitz light engine does.

I mean, if I turn the cubes, I have to recalculate the lightmapping, which requires time. Instead, using the built in lights results faster.

Sergio.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Isee, you need the dynamic side of things...
then i suppose the only answer is to have a higher poly cube (16 quads pur surface or something)... its nt recomended but it may help remove those lines.

semar(Posted 2004) [#5]
Found the way:
EntityFx entity, 4 ;flatshaded

Simple, isn't it ?

Sergio.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#6]
of course! that works with cubes... but dont use it on anything rounded though! Hopefully, should you use rounder objects, you wont notice the lines anyway! :D

Great news you got around it though ,dont know why i didnt think of it.