PositionTexture, (3d programming sucks)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/PositionTexture, (3d programming sucks)

Curtastic(Posted 2004) [#1]
PositionTexture doesnt do anything on my computer. I press the arrow keys, the numbers change, but the texture doesnt.
My computer is less than a year old and I have the latest blitz update.

I have a radeon IGP 320 M, and I cant seem to get any updates.

; PositionTexture Example
; -----------------------

Graphics3D 640,480
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

camera=CreateCamera()

light=CreateLight()
RotateEntity light,90,0,0

cube=CreateCube()
PositionEntity cube,0,0,5

; Load texture
tex=LoadTexture( "media/b3dlogo.jpg" )

; Texture cube
EntityTexture cube,tex

; Set initial uv position values
u_position#=1
v_position#=1

While Not KeyDown( 1 )

; Change uv position values depending on key pressed
	If KeyDown( 208 )=True Then u_position#=u_position#-0.01	
	If KeyDown( 200 )=True Then u_position#=u_position#+0.01	
	If KeyDown( 203 )=True Then v_position#=v_position#-0.01	
	If KeyDown( 205 )=True Then v_position#=v_position#+0.01	

; Position texture
	PositionTexture tex,u_position#,v_position# 

TurnEntity cube,0.1,0.1,0.1

RenderWorld

Text 0,0,"Use cursor keys to change uv position values"
	Text 0,20,"u_position#="+u_position#
	Text 0,40,"v_position#="+v_position#

Flip

Wend

End

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#2]
I can only imagine that's either a limitation of the mobile chipset or a 'driver thing' -- it works fine here on Radeon 9800.

(I did something similar on my old ATI Mobility M2-based laptop too, which is ancient and crap.)

sswift(Posted 2004) [#3]
Have you tried upgrading your graphics driver?

Curtastic(Posted 2004) [#4]
ya, I download the install file from ATI.com and it says it cant find any graphics card hardware to update.

Curtastic(Posted 2004) [#5]
ok, rotatetexture and scaletexture work.
Is this commonly known that positiontexture doesnt work on some brands? Is there a list of commands that you shouldnt use because you want to distribute a 3d game? I know my computer has a 50% chance of resetting on the EndGraphics command when a terrain was used. But warcraft 3 and AOM and warlords and marrowind work fine.

N(Posted 2004) [#6]
Repositioning the texture should just shift the UVW coordinates, I don't see why it shouldn't work...

Ziltch(Posted 2004) [#7]
What about limiting the U,V values to between -1 and 1?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#8]
you mean between 0 and 1 which is normal. <0 is "nonstandard" and is normally just wrapped. regular hardware shouldn't have a problem with it ...

for the drivers: you will have to go to your notebook / pc constructors page. ATI has no drivers for mobile or IGP chipsets. they have to be done by the mainboard / notebook manufacturers.

Graythe(Posted 2004) [#9]
Your code works perfectly here. I've used the positiontexture command before with no problems on a number of cards. Sorry.

Curtastic(Posted 2004) [#10]
awesome, it works now.
I went to hp.com and found a new driver.

I was very frustrated because if every major 3D game works on them, but a whole class of laptops are made with 3 things broken in blitz (that I know of), then I would need a lot of beta testers to find out what I can do and what I cant... While everything in my 2d blitz games worked on every computer I tried.

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#11]
You can also probably use Omega drivers (can't remember the exact url, sorry) which are modified versions of the latest Catalyst drivers. One of the modifications is that they also work on most of ATI's mobility chipsets.

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#12]
The Omega Drivers are at

http://www.omegadrivers.net/