Weird Ass Problem!!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Weird Ass Problem!!!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey guys, I've got this strange problem with controling an entity that is stored in a type. It's a null that has all my level entities parented to it. When I attempt to manually control it, it visibly won't move, and internally the entity reads if it's rotating,moving,etc. , but it won't visibly move!! I can use all the data reteival commands to see that yes in dead the position, rotate, etc. is changing but the updateworld and renderworld do not show it moving in the scene. Most of the objects in the scene have sequences in them, and they are animating just fine. This is driving me nuts!!! Anyone run into something like this?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
A "null?" What's that mean?

Also, you should post some code.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#3]
Sorry, a pivot.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
In that case, why are you expecting to be able to visibly see it move? Pivots aren't visible.

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
jhocking: "It's a null that has all my level entities parented to it."

He should be able to see those move with it.

All I can suggest is that you go and make sure you're parenting them properly. And if you're passing 1 to the global flag of EntityParent, try switching it to 0.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#6]
Actually, I've replaced it with a box, and I still can't get the damn thing to move. This is so strange.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#7]
I was going to reccomend you go see a doctor about that, but I see others have have already come to your aid.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
Ps:
Check your updateworld and renderworld to make sure you don't have a little value after them like 0 or false or true or something.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#9]
Actually, I'm start to think this is a Blitz bug. I've used blitz for about 3 years now, and I never seen any obvious bugs. Anyway, it's doing something even worse now. I've got it animating litterally the wrong object. Like it's referencing the wrong place in memory or something.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yeah, this is a crazy blitz bug. Didn't want to beleive they existed but I found one. Suck!! Now I have to figure out how to work around it!

sswift(Posted 2004) [#11]
I doubt you found a bug. I think you just screwed up some variables. Other people would have come across the same thing if there were something that major going on.

Maybe you should post code!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yeah, I have to get it into a smaller form. I'll try.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#13]
I fixed it. It was still really weird.

I had to to do this...
this is what I had...

BS\MPivot = CreatePivot() ;Didn't work, could control it.

this is the fixed one

MasterPivot = CreatePivot()
BS\MPivot = MasterPivot

That change made it work. Now tell me that doesn't makes sense.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#14]
Is MPivot a float by any chance? Anything assigned to an entity should be an integer.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#15]
I doubt its cuz Mpivot is a float, else itd just MAV out randomly :/

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#16]
Um - You didnt parent the camera to the pivot too did ya?
------------------

Oh just saw you sorted it.

Yeah I have had some issues with that too. Same thing in fact.

TypeFields can = CopyEntity, but with Create... I think they assign the integer value similar to whatever value the handle of the Pivot to be created WOULD have, without actually creating the link or summink like that.