Pixel Perfect Sprites without Pixel Coordinates?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Pixel Perfect Sprites without Pixel Coordinates?

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm trying to get pixel perfect sprites, but all the code I can find (Skidracer's Pixies, Sprite Control etc.) also seems to make sprites positionable in screen co-ordinates, which I don't really want - I like the units system.

Is this even possible?

I presume it wouldn't be a big deal to modify LoadPixie to do this, but as I don't really understand what it's doing (I'm very new to Blitz 3D and 3D in general) I don't really know where to start.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#2]
surely pixel positioning is the most accurate method?

im not too sure i get your question or what you want from it, sorry...

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hmmm .. yeah I don't think I was thinking it through properly. I liked the 3D units thing that entities use 'cos it makes it resolution independent, but now that I think about it how can I possibly have pixel perfect sprites that are independent of resolution. Oh well ...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ahh, now i see what you mean,
Like, an accessible area of 1280x1024 that runs at 640x480 if required. I doubt itd be difficult to do actually- just a few lines of code to change. UNfortunately i dont have anything here to play with right now :(

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#5]
What I originally thought I might be able to do was to position the camera so that the visible screen was a specific number of units wide (like 20 say) and setup each sprite to be 1x1 unit. Then I'd draw my sprites to be pixel perfect at 800x600 (so that'd be 40x40 sprites) and I'd hoped that they'd be perfect at 800x600 and re-scaled at other resolutions.

I now know it's not that simple, but I was wondering if there was a way of doing this. If there's not then I'm not too unhappy about going with Skidracer's Pixies and just sticking to 800x600.

HappyCat(Posted 2004) [#6]
Right - got it. If I use Skidracer's Pixies but fix the viewwidth and viewheight to 800x600 (instead of the code picking it up) then my sprites are pixel perfect at 800x600 and scaled at other resolutions - yeah!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#7]
coolies :D