Poly use with UT2K3 maps and Q3 maps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Poly use with UT2K3 maps and Q3 maps

CodeOrc(Posted 2004) [#1]
Ay' Everybody,

I have been playing around with different level loading/creation solutions and have had varied results. Allow me to babble a moment.

MAX6: I build a basic level, just walls, floors, the basic stuff and make the level with around 8k polys. My frame rate is set to 60 via code. Now, depending on how big my verts are depends on how "smooth" my game runs. Why is the size of the vert a factor?

UT2K3: I can load these maps into my game, but as you would guess I get a very poor frame rate due to the poly count...which I have to reduce for Blitz to even load it in.

Q3: I can load in any Q3 map, get perfectly smooth movement with all the bells and whistles. All that I have tried run great!

Now here's my confusion. Why does the Q3 map behave so nicely, but the MAX6>B3D / UT2K3 maps behave with inconsistency depending on how big a vert and poly count is? I was under the impression as long as the poly count in under 60k it would not effect the performance of the game.

Can someone shed some light on this for me. I hope my babbling made since.
tx

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Post the code to load UT2003 maps!

Oh, and I am pretty sure those maps exceed 60,000 polys. Without a portal system, you are dead in the water.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#3]
CodeOrc: As far as I know, Blitz retains & uses Quake3 map BSP data to efficiently display the maps.

With MAX & UT it sounds like you're loading 1 big map and displaying ALL the polygons at once, which is a bad idea.

CodeOrc(Posted 2004) [#4]
halo-
I am not using code to load the UT maps, well other than the usual "LoadMesh" command. I export them as .obj from the UnrealEd, then import them as .obj into MAX. Then export out as either 3ds or b3d format.

Tom-
So if I loaded in the MAX/UT maps in pieces that would help game performance if I keep my poly count below 60k per piece or per level?

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
So if I loaded in the MAX/UT maps in pieces that would help game performance if I keep my poly count below 60k per piece or per level?

You'd still need some form of occlusion, be it via portals or an octree, or even a simple node-cube system (some crap I came up with while tired, works fine for me- I believe halo is using a similar method as to what I'm doing).

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#6]
Heres a question:

Would LoadAnimMesh do anything? Does unrealed export individual child meshes? if so, it may be easier to load them this way for speed and thered be less chance of an error

if im talking bull, someone tell me? ^.^

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#7]
if im talking bull, someone tell me? ^.^

You are.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#8]
Any info on this halo?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#9]
The system I use is so advanced, if I explained it to you, your head would explode. Really.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#10]
realy, now im roling on the floor laughing :P i was just giving it a shot.

Im back at the stage where im wondering if spliting up my meshes to several (but still a small amount) of surfaces would be quicker than having everything on a single surface- Yes, i know, blitz is slow with surfaces.... :P