Screensaver?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Screensaver?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#1]
Has anyone ever managed to completely work a screensaver using B3D? I know you can just create an exe and rename it scr but that method doesn't handle the wee preview window.

Any thoughts...

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you had done a search you would have found this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=38941

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yes thank you I have found this stuff but please note "I know you can just create an exe and rename it scr but that method doesn't handle the wee preview window."

The link above shows how to make a screensaver, whoppee but DOES NOT show how to handle the preview window in B3D!!!

THATS MY POINT!

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#4]
Does this not explain it for you?
Known Issues with Screensavers:

It’s impossible to display a preview of your Screensaver inside the Windows Display Box with native Blitz2D. – But there are ways to solve this issue in B+ and Blitz3D. Eikon managed to access the preview window in B+. You can download his example & source here. Eddie Blitzmaniac used userlibs to archive this in Blitz3D. Grab it here.
When making a Screensaver with Blitz3D or Blitz2D a small GFX Window is visible before the Screensaver is executed. – Just ignore it. :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#5]
No not really.

Eddie says you cannot use the preview window from Blitz3d and has NOT YET MANAGED TO DO IT despite what it says on that site.

However someone on BlitzCoder has a 3d screensaver that does use the preview window.

So my question still stands and has NOT YET been answered...

"Has anyone ever managed to completely work a screensaver using B3D? I know you can just create an exe and rename it scr but that method doesn't handle the wee preview window."

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#6]
So my question still stands and has NOT YET been answered...
"Has anyone ever managed to completely work a screensaver using B3D? I know you can just create an exe and rename it scr but that method doesn't handle the wee preview window."

Yes.. you already said so yourself:

"However someone on BlitzCoder has a 3d screensaver that does use the preview window."

Don't demand answers for questions you've already answered yourself in the SAME POST. If you want to ask a new question instead, like "HOW do you do this?" then I suggest you write to the author of that screensaver and he might spare the time to respond to your rants.

RGR(Posted 2004) [#7]
;-

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#8]
Err.. so why did you post? To respond about comments someone else made? I think we're in the same boat here.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#9]
RaGR,

thats what I thought. He is obviously in a bad way.
Anyway I have some info...

The way to do it is create an stardard B3D exe. Then create a WIN32 app (VBB for example) and have that built as a SCR file. Then the WIN32 app does all the handling of the preview window etc using API calls and calls in turn the B3D exe.

I might have a stab at it and post my results here as I still cannot believe no one has cracked the problem and shared the solution with the community.

I'll keep ya posted but I have many projects on at the mo so it may be a few weeks...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#10]
im sure i managed it, but unfortunately cant remember how on the planet- I have a Jurrasic Fart screen saver around somewhere done in b3d :/

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#11]
Cygnus,

do you know who by? So I can contant them...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#12]
OK some news,

I have managed to write a VB app that handles the config & preview window aspects and then calls a Blitz3d exe to run the screensaver.

Once I pack the exe into the scr it will look just like one scr file, this is cool.

The preview window does not show the screensaver in action but at least you can stick a logo in there etc.

This is about as close I need it to be -- if anyone is interested in seeing it then let me know and I'll make it available...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#13]
Finally I have a working demo to show it in action. Currently its fully random so the config options don't actually do anything but will do soon.

Grab it here http://www.boiledsweets.com/ScreenSaver/bin/BoiledSweetsSS.zip

Currently there is just a worm hole but I plan to add all kinds of stuff...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#14]
Now the PREVIEW window shows the screen saver running!

Grab a new version here...

www.boiledsweets.com/ScreenSaver/bin/BoiledSweetsSS.zip

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#15]
Glad you got it sorted
I did the one i made, but i dont know how i got it working.. thats why it was so odd :D

HNPhan(Posted 2006) [#16]
Boiled Sweet, do you still have the source somewhere?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#17]
Tigerz,

I cheated, the screen saver (.scr) is in fact vb and that shows images into the preview window to make it look like its running the preview window. Then the vb call the bb code when the screen saver is called.

So a workaround - however if you want to do 2d screen saver that truely runs in the preview window too then use the MAX screen saver template (in the archive).