Realtime Shadow

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Realtime Shadow

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#1]
Realtime Shadow by norc optimized by Peter Scheutz

Is possible use with B3d mesh with/without terrain?

Is more fast realtime shadow by Norc or for SSwift?

Thanks

puki(Posted 2004) [#2]
"Norc" is "jfk" I think - I didn't know he did a shadow system - "Peter Scheutz" did 'Realtime Dynamic Soft Shadows'.

"sswifty's" shadow system works with the b3d format.

Not sure who's is the fastest - I would guess that "sswifty's" is the most ongoing and continually developed shadow system.

"memory" also did a shadow system:
http://graphio.250free.com

puki(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hey, wait a minute.

"gotelin", do you have the source for the "norc"/"Peter Scheutz" shadow system? The reason why I ask is because I've only ever seen an .exe - I don't think the 'system' or the source are available - which really just leaves "sswifty's" system as the only real option - as far as I know.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
Get swwifts. I have it, and it works great, even works with animated b3ds.(I.e animated shadows.)

puki(Posted 2004) [#5]
woops - wrong thread.

Bad "puki"

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
I have two shadow demos in the code archive. One is very simple and uses a shadow texture on a quad floor. It shades the entire scene, this could be used for a wrestling scene or something, but not for a 3D World thing. The other demo (a zipfile) is using the same projection method, but shadow-maps a towel mesh that is made of several quads (10*10 or something), then the towel is aligned to the terrain the character is walking on. This Demo uses a single renderpass for each object that needs a shadow. It is not recommended for a high number of objects.

Sswifts Shadowsystem includes some very nice 3D Stuff that will allow you to position the lights whereever you want, example given: when the light is near the floor and the char is walking by, the shadow will be projected to the ceil. It is the only 6-ways system that I know, but since it is not using hardware shaders, it won't be as fast as the shadows we have seen in todays games and therefor you should not use it with too much chars/lights.

some factors are important for the speed of Sswifts system:
Polycount
Number of lights
Number if Shadowcasters
Lightranges

If you are using some kind of VIS Occlusion it may be fast enough even when it's a big level.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#7]
sswifts shadow system is really slow on large levels. You will need to optimise your levels a great deal.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
I'm working on fixing that.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#9]
We had 3 shadow threads in 3 days. Whats up now!!

As for shadows being slow on large levels, i think its up to the coders to optimise their own levels, not much swift can do about it. Maybe i give him an idea tho, which will help him fix it :))

puki(Posted 2004) [#10]
"sswifty" needs to get his shadow system working with my MD2 models.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#11]
that is impossible due to blitz3d which does not return the dynamic vertex possitions in case of md2 models ... ask mark if he can't change their behavior to a similar one of b3d animated models :)

sswift(Posted 2004) [#12]
It's not that it doesn't return dynamic vertex positions...

The problem is that there is no way to set one MD2 to the same point in it's animation as another.

The dynamic vertex issue affects both, and is what makes it impossible to cast a shadow onto animated meshes.

I do have one theory that might enable casting shadows onto MD2's, but it would require the user to disable and reenable the shadow every time they changed the animation it is playing.

I really don't want to bother any more with trying to get MD2 to work though, it's a dead format and people should stop using it. :-)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#13]
How come no-one ever seems to mention jfk's? I love this one:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=434

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#14]
because it is buggy and very restricted in its use? :)
*tried it myself but the result wasn't really usalbe*

ckob(Posted 2004) [#15]
How come no-one ever seems to mention jfk's? I love this one

They did a couple times :P

puki(Posted 2004) [#16]
Aha, "Boydy" - I want to snog you for your error.

If you had got it right - I'd never have got the link to the demo - you got it wrong and now I have what I was looking for.

"puki" snogs "boydy". Well done stupid. I like "Boydy" - I now have the other demo code rather than just the .exe

EDIT:
Now I can have MD2 shadows for me little MD2 people.