Lightmapping Techniques

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Lightmapping Techniques

Drey(Posted 2004) [#1]
Only thing that's kinda freaking me out about the terrain system i'm about to make is lightmapping. I'm thinking I have to do some crazy collisions and get UVs and crap, but sounds like i might be over complicating the process. Can you guys help out on some lightmapping concepts/techniques. Do u replace Light positions with a CAM? Do i change the Cam FOV to get a 360 Field of Vision? If i Do, how exactly do i do that? Any ideas, concepts, or links will help.

Sadly, i'm ground and i'm at my friends house right now. So he's goin to print up stuff for me, so i can't really check the code achieves for now. So concepts or the whole process summerized would be great.

Thanks for all your help.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
i dont think you can have a 360° FOV camera - guess 180 is the max. (CameraZoom ). I don't understand the other question. Lignmapping is something that is done as a pre-render process, and saved as an additional texture layer. In the codearchive there are several lightmappers, including YAL.

If you wanna be smart, use two lightmaps for each room, one with and an other one without a lightbulbs light. So you can switch the lightmaps when the player is pushing the light swich.