Normal mapping

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Normal mapping

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#1]
Good afternoon
Can I use animate model with normal mapping?

Thanks

Dustin(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yes/No. If you're talking about a static mesh that moves around then yes you can use normal maps. If the object uses bones or something similar then no because the deformations don't modify the normal map and as a result the normal map's lighting information will be incorrect.

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks
Is there another option?

Sniffff, buaaaaaa

Dustin(Posted 2004) [#4]
Short answer, not really. The only way that I know of would require that the section of the normal map that is being adjusted by the bone have it's hue color shifted to match the rotation of the bone. You'd have to create some system that would keep track of each bone and the normal map image territory it affects and process how the colors would need to shift to convey the rotations.

I'm sure there's a couple of MENSA types around here who could probably knock this out on their lunch break, but this is WAAAAAY beyond my skill set.

My suggestion, add normal maps to your stationary scenery and use the polygon savings to increase the poly counts of your characters. At least that's what I'm doing. :)

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#5]
I was going to test this exact thing today, but I will do it a bit later. I might find a solution to it as well, I'll keep you posted if i do.

I thought that when you move vertices (with bones) the UVW moves also just like with colour textures, so I don't really get why the normal maps would be incorect.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
The UV co-ords don't move around when you move vertices via bones. The reason the normal maps don't accurately work on animated models, is because when the bones manipulate the vertices, blitz doesn't keep any data about their new positions. And insce you don't have the current vertex positions, you can't work out the normals to calculate which vertex color it should be. So therefore you lighting is going to be inaccurate.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#7]
Haven't their been examples of at least partly working cube map "normal mapping fakes" for animated models?

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#8]
Lenn.
Can you tell me any thing about test, please?

Thanks

maximo(Posted 2004) [#9]
If blitz fully supported normal maps internally, would it then be possible to use animated characters with correct normal maps? If not how does Doom3 accomplices this?

MSW(Posted 2004) [#10]

Haven't their been examples of at least partly working cube map "normal mapping fakes" for animated models?

I have some test code along those lines, working for the most part with the Dragon.MD2 animated model...if anyone wants to host it for downloading, I can put together a .ZIP with media, source and all.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#11]
id like to see it, so il host... My servers not known to be brilliant though. :) better than nowt i think...

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#12]
MSW.
Where are the examples?
Thanks

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#13]
If blitz fully supported normal maps internally, would it then be possible to use animated characters with correct normal maps? If not how does Doom3 accomplices this?

Normal mapping is usually done with shaders, so I would imagine this is how Doom 3 does it.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#14]
erm...I started another thread in the art showcase area with a screenshot (forgot this thread was here :P)...sent TigerZ a zip with the media...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=39353