Tunnels in a mmorpg

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tunnels in a mmorpg

Skurcey(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is there any people who can help me on how to create an algorhitm to dig tunnels in a persistant world?

Skurcey(Posted 2004) [#2]
Any ideas are welcome!!!!

GfK(Posted 2004) [#3]
Two things would help here.

1. Explain the problem better.
2. Give people more than two minutes 36 seconds to reply before pestering.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#4]
How does tunnel digging differ in a persistant world versus a single player world?

Skurcey(Posted 2004) [#5]
it's a mmorpg pk game in the future, i would like that the players could dig some tunnels on the map to attack each others. For the moment i can only dig some holes or delete triangles(from the surface on my mesh. I don't think i've done the right way to continue... --> maybe like Necroumunda if you know each bases are at different levels and the players could dig tunnels to take the 3nnemy by surprise.... sorry for the 2nd post, didn't see the edit button.

how can they be different, a whole question...

sswift(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ideas:

1. Use CSG techniques to subtract spheres from the mesh in question. For speed, divide your level into multiple entities, to reduce the number of polygons that need to be checked during the CSG operations, and to reduce the number of polygons in the meshes which need to be updated in realtime.

2. Create your world out of a 3d grid. Each "tile" in the grid can contain a mesh which has any shape. When an explosion occurs, delete those "tiles" which are within the explosion's radius, and set those tiles which are straddling the border of the explosion to "damaged". You may need multiple versions of tiles to represent damage that comes from different directions. For example, if you have a pipe, you might need two versions to handle which side of the pipe connects to unbroken pipe and which side connects to broken pipe.

But to make this fast enough, you will need to come up with a method to combine meshes. You can't have a grid of thousands of entities, so you'll have to find a way to combine them together. Or, you'll need to split your world into cubical regions, which each contain a set of grid cubes.... That might allow you to merely reconstruct that section of the eorld in it's entirety when you need to change some sections without causing too much of a framerate hiccup.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#7]
Ditch Blitz and use some kind of voxel engine. I can't think of a single engine beside something using voxels where you can actually dig tunnels. Either that or make it 2D ;)

Skurcey(Posted 2004) [#8]
yeah thanks, i will look... mdr

sswift(Posted 2004) [#9]
Worms 3D allows you to dig tunnels. Also there was Red Faction, but I think they cheated.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#10]
Red Faction, if I don't remember wrong, used some kind of "delete triangles, and add new ones in a near-sphere shape with the normal of the blast, and then combine to the existing mesh" type of thing.. sounds like CSG to me, but they might be cheating as sswift said.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yeah Red Faction had pre-defined spots where you could blow stuff up.