Volume shadows o dynamics shadows

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Volume shadows o dynamics shadows

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is possible create dynamic shadows o volume shadows in Blitz3d, with 60 fps or more in scenary of 50.000 polygons and a player with 2000 polygons for example?

Is there a other opcion?
Thanks

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you have a pentium 10.7 ghz with a geforce 17 no problem at all.

You want to be a wee bit more specific?

Robert(Posted 2004) [#3]
What PC are we talking here?

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#4]
NASA?

Jan_(Posted 2004) [#5]
NO, you can't programm Doom3 with DX 7.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
NO, you can't programm Doom3 with DX 7.
Of course you can, DX7 allows you to plot pixels to video memory, therefore anything graphically is possible in DX7. The downside of couse is that everything would have to be calculated on the processor rather than the video card which may be a little sluggish even with modern processors.

That said the real time raytrace demos are very impressive and as processors get faster they will look even better. These demos just throw coloured pixels at the screen, nothing to do with polygon rendering or anything.

Jan_(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yes, and you can Programm Half-Life 2 und MS-Dos

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
You can't do volumetric shadows in Blitz. But if you want to cast dynamic shadows that wrap properly around surfaces, my shadow system can do that.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yes, and you can Programm Half-Life 2 und MS-Dos
No you can't as MS-Dos is an operating system not a programming language. Although it has limited scrpiting options you certainly cannot program directly to video memory.

However, you could use a C complier for dos and write a HL2 engine if you so wished that would run under MS-Dos. If written specifically for one piece of hardware and without the API overheads would probably run much better too.

If games were written specifically for graphics card/ video cards etc and didn't run under the windows operating system and DX or OGL APIs they would run much better. Take a look at game consoles performance for examples of this.

However, the DX/OGL layers on top of the Windows layer remove (most) compatibility issues.

Fixed hardware accessed directly is always going to be better than API layers.

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thanks.
I use Swift Shadow System , but with 3000 polygons in receiver shadows and a 2000 polygons player is very very slowly.
Is posible use stencil shadows for more fast in blitz or a wrapper for more fast?.

Thanks

sswift(Posted 2004) [#11]
Gotelin:

1. Which version of my shadow system do you have? The version number is in the filename.

2. How many lights do you have casting shadows?

3. How many characters which are casting shadows are visible to the camera at once?

4. That 3000 polygons... Is that the number of polygons total, in all the receivers? Or is that the number of polygons the shadow system tells you are in the shadows that have been generated?

5. Are you using frame tweening? You should be calling UpdateShadows() between UpdateWorld, and Renderworld, once per Flip. If you have a loop within your main game loop which calls captureworld, and you have the UpdateShadows() command in there, you're calling it too often.

6. What resolution are you using for the shadows?

7. Are you disabling shadows for objects which are in the distance and out of view of the camera?

8. What kind of video card and CPU do you have?

My system should handle 3000 polys in the level and a single 2000 poly shadow casting object easily.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#12]
No a wrapper is impossible at least if you do not fully replace the whole 3D part.

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#13]
1. Which version of my shadow system do you have? The version number is in the filename.

Swift Shadow System - 105.bb

2. How many lights do you have casting shadows?

3. How many characters which are casting shadows are visible to the camera at once?
I use you example with caster_2 is the player and Receiver_2 is the scenary with 3000 polygons

4. That 3000 polygons... Is that the number of polygons total, in all the receivers? Or is that the number of polygons the shadow system tells you are in the shadows that have been generated?

Yes, I use 3000 polygons in one/all receivers

5. Are you using frame tweening? You should be calling UpdateShadows() between UpdateWorld, and Renderworld, once per Flip. If you have a loop within your main game loop which calls captureworld, and you have the UpdateShadows() command in there, you're calling it too often.

I use UpdateShadows()

6. What resolution are you using for the shadows?

7. Are you disabling shadows for objects which are in the distance and out of view of the camera?

?
Can you tell me realize it?

8. What kind of video card and CPU do you have?

P-IV 3,2GHz 2G Ram , 256 3D.

I use you example change caster_2 and receiver_2 , the others receivers is deleted, Can you send me another example,please?.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#14]
"7. Are you disabling shadows for objects which are in the distance and out of view of the camera?

Can you tell me realize it?"

If you only have one player casting one shadow from one light, onto one receiver, then you won't get any speedup if you do that.

"I use you example change caster_2 and receiver_2 , the others receivers is deleted, Can you send me another example,please?"

I don't have any other examples.

If you email me your test program and the media it uses, I will take a look at it and see if you've broken something.

It sounds though like you may have done everything right.

Version 105 is the most recent version of the shadow system, so you don't need an update there.

Also, I need to know what brand of video card you have. You said it has 256 megs of ram though, so it's probably very new. That and you have 4x as much ram as I do, and a much faster CPU. :-)

What framerate are you getting anyway that is too slow?