Vertex Colors

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Vertex Colors

Clarks(Posted 2004) [#1]
How can vertex colors be used or what exactly are they used for? I know what vertex shading is.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#2]
You can assign colours to individual vertices. These colours are then blended together across the surface of triangles.

You also need to set EntityFX flag 2 in order to see vertex colours.

Clarks(Posted 2004) [#3]
You're the only one who responded,

I know about the assignment of vertex colors and how they are blended together, but i was wandering if there was any use for them, or how they can be used.

I mean think about it, wouldn't it be nice to assign vertex colors to your vertices and have them blended in with your models original texture like vertex shading.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#4]
There are tons of uses for them...from colored surface normals for DOT3 mapping to specific mesh coloring effects...

For example...say you have a model of a human face for an RPG and want to make a lot of variations of it for several different NPCs...You could use a greyscale face texture, combined with verticy coloring to achieve this quite easily...a NPC could even be hanging out in an bar or inn drinking midevil beer, and with a few changes in the colors of selected verticies, the character could end up with rosy cheeks to reflect his drunken state...all without modifying a single texture.

Clarks(Posted 2004) [#5]
Whoa, thats interesting