FLY3D / Cipher wrapper for Blitz

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/FLY3D / Cipher wrapper for Blitz

gotelin(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is there a FLY3D or Cipher wrapper for Blitz ?

Thanks

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
Good luck.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
As nice as a Cipher wrapper might be, I see little interest in a wrapper for an engine that costs $100. Mention that you've got a great engine for $100 and you'll find loads of people are interested, but when it comes to paying the $100, most of them won't. Consequently, the wrapper would have a very limited audience. And that's not even getting into the technical issues. I have no idea how hard Cipher would be to wrap.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
What is up with everybody talking about wrapping this or that game engine? If you want to use Cipher, just use Cipher. What the hell do you need Blitz for?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#5]
What the hell do you need Blitz for?

Because the syntax is nothing like C? Because not everyone knows or likes C? Because Blitz features a bunch of really nice features which C and Cipher may not? ( Such as integrated FMod with no license fees due? )

Or ( not something I would personally feel, but something I suspect may be behind a lot of this ) because BlitzMax is coming out with no initial 3d engine?

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#6]
If you want to make a wrapper for cipher, you would only wrap the functions in rendererx86.dll, which contains graphics and input functions. The rest of the engine is put in cipher.exe, and you would have to rewrite it in Blitz to make it work. I much rather prefer to add a scripting engine to Cipher, which a syntax you feel comfortable with (i personally have chosen Small), and code your game using that.

The renderer is not the most important part of Cipher. There is also its network client / server architecture, and other things I would like to save, so writing a Blitz wrapper would be useless for me. Also, there are better renderng engines, like OGRE, which are being ported to Blitz (although I prefer to use them directly in C++ too), why not use that?

If you want to program in Cipher in a Basic language, another solution would be to use PureBasic. PB supports Dll programming. You make a game in cipher usign 3 dlls (one for the client, one for the server, and another for the user interface). You would only have to allow the dlls access the function in the engine runtime, like the C version of the dlls do.