Best way to sell a game?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Best way to sell a game?

D4NM4N(Posted 2004) [#1]
If you have released a shareware game and got money 4 it, please can u tell me;

(My Game is ready to go, both demo and full)

1. How to set up a download for sale style thingy
2. The best way of receiving monies
3. Any legals to look out 4

Its my first game that I think is good enough to sell. (And my first one in Blitz 4 that matter!)
I have a website set up with details, but need some advice on how to get it rolling. I will shortly send a beta test with 3 levels to the blitz website.

have a look see: www.d-grafix.com/news.html

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#2]
Sweet! Is it Jetscream that is ready for sale?

Anyway, we do quite well using Share*It and we market our game to Shareware sites such as Download.com. Of course we're also published on Garage Games with Aerial Antics but we've sold copies of Aerial Antics and Market Value from our site. Do a search for Shareware Game Site Submission software. I think it's a program that costs $15 or something and you fill out the forms for hundreds of sites A-Z. Adrian (Evak) did that part actually and he'll be a way for a few more days. When he gets back maybe he can give you some more information about the submissions.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#3]
Share*It probably is the best way. You could post a news thingy up on the front page to advertise it, and post something on your website (which you already have). Post your shareware version on your website, any download websites you can think of, and on BlitzCoder. And don't forget to include a link to your website inside the game. You don't know how much that works.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#4]

If you have released a shareware game and got money 4 it, please can u tell me

Digital Fortress ... what games are you selling? I can't find any games for purchase on your website.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
If you really want to make money, you need to start the mother of battles of guerilla marketing. Make some million people read about your game and you may sell a few thousand copies.

Don't expect to sell a lot only trough posting this in the news of blitzbasic.com. You really need to be present everywhere. It's a small line between spam and advertisement, not an easy job. Anyway, if it's a nice game then it's easier.

sharit is ok for the deal. Good luck!

D4NM4N(Posted 2004) [#6]
thanks to all for your feedback. So how do u go about selling a download link ive seen these ones that are automated and expire after a month. does shareit handle this?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yes, ShareIt do those automated links that expire after a month, but most payment processors have a similar system. BMT Micro, RegNow and Plimus are worth checking out, particularly Plimus who are becoming really popular with indies just lately. You might want to consider using more than one, and certainly having PayPal as a backup option is a good idea, as some people prefer not having to fill in two or three pages of forms on ShareIt, and just clicking a couple of buttons to PayPal you the money.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#8]
Gab, do you know if you can set up penpal like shareit, where you can have payments sent by cheque?
Or a debit card?(I.e anything other than a proper creditcard)..that's the one thing I love about shareIT, even if they do go WAY overboard on the forms.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#9]
Anybody ever thought of going through a publisher like e-games. These kind of games are pretty much what they look for. Then your game will be sold in stores!

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yeah tried that route. I think though that the Garage Games titles didn't do so well for them perhaps so they weren't interested in another one like Aerial Antics.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#11]
Ant, yeah, Paypal now accept UK debit cards, like Switch, Delta and Solo.