FMOD license?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/FMOD license?

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#1]
do we have to pay to use fmod sound commands?

JazzieB(Posted 2004) [#2]
No.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yes, if you link to the Fmod. lib seperately from Blitz. Contact fmod. I think Blitz has a unique license.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#4]
thats good

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#5]
To use any of Blitz's built in sound commands, there are no strings attached. If you want to use FMOD seperately, as BloodLocust says, and actually have some useful commands at your disposal :) then you have to pay for it big time.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
It's not ALL that big time. It's free for freeware products and $100 for shareware. Only commercial licenses carry a high price ( $2,000 per title. )

I suspect the reason we don't have to pay for Blitz's inbuilt sound commands is because Blitz2d and 3d were originally published by Idigicon and therefore the products are probably covered under Idigicon's FMod license.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#7]
what is fmod?

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#8]
what is fmod?

http://www.fmod.org/

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#9]
$100 for shareware.

I must have missed that. That's not so bad then.

I suspect the reason we don't have to pay for Blitz's inbuilt sound commands is because Blitz2d and 3d were originally published by Idigicon and therefore the products are probably covered under Idigicon's FMod license.

I doubt it. That would mean there are countless people compiling new programs using the FMod source and no one ever pays for it. I doubt the FMod people want to diddle themselves out of that much money =] I find it more likely that Mark/Idigicon struck a special deal with the FMod people, for a cut down version of FMod (basic sound playback capability, and Mark being an oldskooler probably thought mod support was a neccessity as well:), which he pays a license for, but then there are no strings attached for anyone else down the track.

Also, BlitzPlus never had anything to do with Idigicon and it still had all the same old sound routines.

Also also, it would explain why FMod is not being incorperated into BlitzMax, even tho it is multiplatform, because Mark is dead set on releasing the source along with the compiler and obviously including the FMod sources would be a big no no.

what is fmod?

In short, FMod is what powers all of Blitz's sound capabilities.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thanks.