Single Surface Particle Systems for Split Screen

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Single Surface Particle Systems for Split Screen

Poita(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm making a split screen game (two cameras) and I want to have sprites that always face the camera, both cameras. Is it possible to do this with single surface particle systems? And if it is would it still be faster because I imagine you'd need to rebuild the mesh for each camera render?

Note: The cameras are rendered separately because I have entities that are only shown on one camera (eg. Star Spheres)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#2]
No it is not possible or you would have to double every particle but this would lead to artifacts on the other cam ( or for you to update the particles even in between the 2 cam renders )

Poita(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yeah, I was thinking that you could rotate all the particles before each camera render to face the screen. I was just wondering if this would still be faster than sprites?

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#4]
It's totally possible. I assume your single surface particle system has an option for camera, all you have to do is swap the camera variable to camera 1, render camera 1, set the camera variable to camera 2, render camera 2, and there you go.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yes it will still be faster than sprites.

You can render around 3000 single surface particles faster than you can render around 400 sprite particles. So even if you cut that in half, you're still ahead.

Poita(Posted 2004) [#6]
"I assume your single surface particle system has an option for camera"

You're assuming I actually have a single surface particle system. :P Not got round to doing that yet. Was just wondering whether it would be still worth the effort.

Thanks sswift, thats all I wanted to know. Now to actually code the thing! Of course the speed depends also on how efficient the actual system is so I'll have to make it reasonably good. Hope it can handle 4 cameras just in case someone wants a 4-player game!

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh - if you've not written (or acquired) your single surface particle system yet, then it is most definitely possible.