Network

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Network

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]
32 players on a server, one local, 31 remote.

How much data can be transmitted over high-speed internet? Roughly?

How many updates per second are we looking at?

Rough numbers, please.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#2]
Depends on your packet sizes. First map out your data which needs to be transferred. Then figure out the most efficient way to put it in the packets. Before you know how many updates per second. For high speed Internet though you should get 128Kbps I'd imagine. I send position updates (very few bytes) every 50 milliseconds for small stuff (look at the FPSNet example).

For 32 players you'll really need to streamline and have a somewhat dynamic packet assembly system so that it only sends the information that has changed etc... need to reduce redundancy a lot. Maybe check out the TNL (Torque Network Library). That engine has amazing net code and you can just license the net code if you need. Even if you don't check out some resources on it (3D Game Programming All in One, the Garage Games website resources etc...). The engine is totally built on the networking scheme and it's really sweet, even just for learning purposes.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#3]
both bloodlocust and Spaced man worked on some pretty cool multiplayer stuff, with LOD and compression etc. Spaced might have even made some of his public domain not sure.

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#4]
I can push 256kbyte/sec as recieving, however only like 7-10kbyte/sec sending -- anything more and it actually eats the send bandwidth of other computers on my network - Hah!

Which is not really that important, unless I was the host myself.

The goal as a client is to send as little possible, but also to recieve as little as possible -- if that can't be done as good, then you've always got a ton of room to eat ;)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#5]
7-10kb/s upstream is to low for 32 players as every needs around 1kb+ per second.

Andy UK(Posted 2004) [#6]
Zenith sounds like you have a 256/64 connection... you know that if you send at 64kbits/sec you'll limmit your downloading... you should never transmit data at 100% of your outgoing capacity/sec.. keep it at about 90% this lets your downloading carry on at full speed... this applieas to most network situations on dsl