MMO stuff engines

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/MMO stuff engines

gburgess(Posted 2004) [#1]
EDIT: yeah, so I messed up the thread title. I'm not sure what it was supposed to say. Something like "MMO engines and stuff".

I was going to have a tinker with ckob's open source MMORPG engine, just for the hell of it, really. I've not got any particular plans to write one, I don't have the time, I'm just curious to pick and poke at the code and see an example of how one would be written. Unfortunately, I don't have any version of BlitzPlay to try it out, so I was wondering (to ckob or anyone who knows, really):

-Are there any other Open Source MMORPG engines out there?
-Does ckob's engine need any work to function with an up-to-date version of BlitzPlay Pro, assuming I purchased it, which I might well do because it looks cool? I notice the requirements for for v1.1, but it's past v2 now.
-What sort of state is the ckob engine in? Is it a basic client-server model? Does it have code in place for NPCs, quests, dialogue etc.? Not that I mind adding it, I'm just curious.

Sorry for all the questions, it's just BlitzPlay Pro is of no use to me at the moment, since I'm spending most of my time working on a single player project anyway. And my next project is also going to be single player. But I would consider buying it sooner rather than later if I had something appropriate to play about with.

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#2]
Try this one (non-Blitz): http://www.dimensionex.net/en/

ckob(Posted 2004) [#3]
could of just emailed me :P

Open source mmorpg engines are hard to find most of them are 2d and the 3d ones are vaporware.

The servant code used blitzplay 1.0 because when we tried to port it to the newest version of blitzplay we ran into some troubles but porting it over isnt really that hard I was just at the end of my rope with working on Servant when I decided porting to the newest version of blitzplay was to much of a hassle.
The Servant code has alot of diffrent code in it, we never got around to adding the npc stuff however it does have basic functionality client/server,realistic weather patterns and some single surface grass. If you have any more questions about it please feel free to email me @ ckob@... or just ask here ill keep checking. If your thinking about buying blitzplay pro do it I think it was probebly one of the best purchases for blitz I ever made.

You might also want to check out www.mmorpgce.com it's not free but it sounds to be promising. I use to own mmorpgce until I sold it to solstar because I alone couldnt handle the amount of work that was needed as I was busy in real life as well. The new company that owns it is pretty professional about how they do things and from what I have seen the engine is gonna be good.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#4]
also the servant engine had over 700 downloads from my webserver and your the first person thats mentioned anything about it I think :P

gburgess(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yeah, I could've e-mailed really :D When I started typing, I meant it to be more of a general post. Turned out, it was mostly addressed to you :D

Well, thanks for the input. I quite relish the idea of adding in NPCs and stuff, but I'm a bit wary about updating BlitzPlay, since I've never really used it. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

MMORPGCE looked pretty neat, I thought, I wouldnt mind paying for it (well, depending on the price, I guess) because it sounds particularly well-made.

Well, thanks for the reply, ckob, I may well make that BlitzPlay purchase.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#6]
Its a mess really.. rather wait until they release the new version.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#7]
The Servant isnt mmorpgce Ashmantle