not b3d but... sound waves

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/not b3d but... sound waves

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#1]
hi, ummm is there any way you can graph a sound in blitz based on it's amplitude? make a sound graph? sorry this isnt in misc. forum but blitz3d forum is the most used and i am really wanting a quick response for this... so yeah...

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#2]
ummmmmmmmm ne1?

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#3]
i can only think of Blitz BASS, its not free, but its cheap enough

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well, the .wav format is REALLY easy to read into an array or something. Its a series of amplitudes strung together at whatever sample rate it was recorded at with some additional information at the very beginning. However, that means you need to use .wavs which are storage hungry.

If you could find a way of decoding .ogg and getting the information back into a meaningful form then I'd be interested in knowing.

BODYPRINT(Posted 2004) [#5]
do you mean the overall sound actually coming out speakers, or a wave that could be playing anywhere in 3d space?

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#6]
whoa!! i just wanted to know if u can graph the sound wave's amplitude in 2d? sorry it aint in misc./ect. but this is most active forum...

@skitchy: ....huh? how u do that? ...yes i am using .wavs cuz im making a sound editor/music editing tool thingie cuz there aint a good free one anywhere (if u could point me to a good music/wav editor (Free) that is good and free...im using blitzui for GUI and yeah...

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#7]
Erm, you dont want to do this in blitz. seriously. You can try but it wont happen. You could do it in blitzmax perhaps. The problem is Blitz's sound support is so high level you dont have access to the raw data. If in your sound editer the user wants to hear what they have made then you will have to write out a wav file, load the wav file, and play. that'll take a while if its a full song. Plus, the overall challenge of implementing effects is rather daunting. If you are going to attempt such a big thing (math for sound manipulations can get very complex), might as well do it in C/C++ and make it a source forge project.

I would be very, very impressed if you managed to make it better than audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Some audio progies that can be useful:

http://www.master-zap.com/stomper/
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio.htm

There are tons of tiny little programs that do little audio tasks, so cobbled together they usually work pretty well.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#8]
i uploaded my demo of sound editor... u need a microphone... www.freewebs.com/duckgames ... it should work... i think exe files automatically take all include files with it if im not correct? every1 in my family is amazed by it... im only 14 years old... ;D

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#9]
ummmm ne1? try out prog so far?

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#10]
ne1 here? plz reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big10p(Posted 2004) [#11]
I don't have a mic. Why would I need one? What does this prog of yours do?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#12]
After recording a sample on the first track...

I get an error:

The specified alias is already being used in this application. Use a unique alias.

followed by:

Cannot carry out the commands in the order specified. Correct the command sequence, and then try again.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#13]
@big10p: u need a mic to record... my prog (its an early test to ne1) records and soon be able to edit (hopefully) the sounds and add echoes ect...

@perturbatio: did u click the "(/) Stop Recording" button?
cuz "Cannot carry out the commands in the order specified" means u did something in the wrong order, like ...click record, click play, click stop record.... i havent gotten around to fix that stuff yet....itll come soon

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#14]
i did audio compression once... its pretty messy... @TheDuck, keep up the work.. but blitz isnt realy where you should be doing it.. ive tried, several times...

if anyone wants the source to my audio compression thingy let me know- the source is incredibly "dirty" though...

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#15]
sure audio compression!!! ok!! thank you a lot!!!!...
i know its not the place to make it... but... its fun to make!!! ;D ...for some reason, i like to make apps....being a 14 year old, most other people (if they were actually able to program something...) would program games....and i find it very very fun to make apps... that mostly i will release for free...
@Cygnus: ok!! ill use it!! Thnx for audio compression!! (when i get it)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#16]
Email Damiensturdy@...

Its not mp3 or anything usable, I called it NCA and when i started out (as an audio file newb) it looked like itd beat mp3. Of course, i was overshooting....

The format is NCA. Give it the right parameters and its still quite usable. Works by a few methods including lowering bit depth, storing chunks that only use 8 bits (but are 16 but) into 8 bit chunks, Estimated frequency (so it knows what amount of quality to chop off the audio file)

Though to be honest the most useful but of it is going to be Wav saving and loading which it does...

oh, and it saves to NCA too.

Let me get this put togethr in a more user friendly way and il pop it up... Thinking of it, il put buts of it in the code archives and the rest over at BC.com :)

Still email me, il get it to you first.