Fog Bug

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Fog Bug

D4NM4N(Posted 2004) [#1]
I Have a big problem, Ive noticed that my laptop has an issue with hardware fog. My desktop with a gforce4 works fine. The laptop has an Intel 82815 graphics. I wouldnt really care except this is a very standard card with on board graphics M/Bs. Is this a blitz problem or an intel problem?? The problem is, is that the fog depth seems to be more on the horizontal faces than the vertical faces, and it causes a flickering mess near to the camera. If I use a large initial range its ok, but I need the range of 300 to 500.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think that its not so much a problem as a feature which Intel don't support - I may be wrong, but I my laptop has problems with Alpha channels when I ask too much of it.

Laptops eh? who'd have 'em!?

IPete2.

D4NM4N(Posted 2004) [#3]
I get slowdown with too much alpha as well

ONBOARD GRAPHICS REALLY SUCK!

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#4]
intel are notorious for bad 3d video support. So there's no surprise there, one of the cursed banes of indie game dev lol.

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#5]
Fog screws up on my ATI based laptop as well.. has with every interation of Blitz and every iteration of laptop with ATI that i have had.

Tracer

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#6]
Laptops with old "integrated 3D video" stuff are from hell. You can't expect them to work with any games or Blitz... new ones are bit better, but laptops are what they are... not meant for 3D stuff really.

D4NM4N(Posted 2004) [#7]
Its not just the laptop, the 82815 is on a lot of combi desktop motherboards. A friend of mine has one and i think his board is an asrock, another common name. I have fixed the problem with a menu option for fog fix. Which disables fog on the infinite plane which is the water.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#8]
Older ATI cards don't support the particular type of DirectX fog Blitz 3D uses -- they told me themselves (I forget whether it's Table Fog or Vertex Fog).

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#9]
I have the accursed onboard graphics and alpha is totally messed up,
but at least we can use them to test what a lot of people are going to experience.

DrakeX(Posted 2004) [#10]
they probably don't support table fog - it's the more computationally expensive (and better-looking) of the two.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#11]
Ive never had any problems with fog and intel 8281x cards... theyre just old and slow.. slightly slower than a TNT2 in fact :/