MultiRenders > Single Render?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/MultiRenders > Single Render?

Drey(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey, i've been running some test lately to get some performace results. Looks like i can get about 30,000 polys on the screen in one 1 milli..which is great because my goal was about [30-40],000 polys on the screen at once. While i was doing my test tho, i had a cal that predicted the number of polys a sec it can do. When ther was about 55,000 ploys on the screen...it was sayin stuff like 27,000,000 polys a sec(theoridicly). When i had about 5 million on the screen..it was goin about 3 fps a sec which means 5 million * 3fps = 15 million per sec theoridicly. That's a big drop

So i was thinking...is it faster to say have things render in a few pasts. Say i have a cube. And i have say 50 pivots. only 1 cube tho. Each Pivot contains Rotation and Position.. So i was thinking if i just made the cube match a pivot then render with CameraClsMOde cam, 0,1 and put it in a for-next loop for 1-50 and render each time. Would that be overall faster than having 50 cubes on the screen. I was thinking about maybe a forest with alot of trees..u can have 1 tree with pivots and many seemly faster small renders, compared to having 3000 trees with their own position and rotation.

Has anythign looked into this. I know i'll have to make sure i organize render order, that's not too bad.

Now maybe tryin to have 3000 renders of one tree can cause some problems i figured, especially with render order gettin out of control maybe.

Do u have any experience with this?
I'll like to pretty much do anything that can get FPS high because i want to have at least 5-12 milli do everything else in the game expect render period(AI, Collision, and such) I have alot of ideas on how to Free up process and stuff like with AI and such.

So multi render > single render in some cases or what's the deal?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#2]
At lower poly counts, using one copy of the tree can be faster. Once you get into the 60,000+ range, it will be much faster to collapse all your trees into one.

I use anywhere from 4 to 30+ passes in my engine, so it is an okay technique. It's also really useful for seeing which prts of your renderin process take the most time.

Drey(Posted 2004) [#3]
I see, u create a big mesh with all your trees placed. a Blitz3d file mesh right(easest to make?)? But then u coudn't really have say one tree fall down right?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Sure you could, just keep one copy of the reference, and use tit to move the vertices.

Drey(Posted 2004) [#5]
ah. Cool stuff. I should have something up soon. Probably a particle engine. I've been design the Particle engine and alot of other stuff with one thing in mind...scripting...i have to make a scripting language. I've been design it in my head and on paper for a while now. I think i'm ready to sit down and get it going. Like i said,it's goin to take a while.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#6]
I think it also depends on how much memory is on the
card and how it is using AGP and system memory. You
would have to throw that into your calculations but that
should be easy to do per system by checking video memory.
a ratio based on half of the currently available video
memory. That way textures and other stuff will have room
to move if they need to.