Fading between screens

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Fading between screens

Makepool(Posted 2004) [#1]
Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can fade between two screens in Blitz3D? At first I thought about rendering both images to a flat mesh like a sprite and fading the alpha on one to reveal the other but I want to fade between two screens of at least 800x600 but Blitz doesn’t seem to like textures larger than 512x512 so does anybody know of how I can achieve this?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#2]
You can use 1024 X 1024 textures! Just make sure you design the images in something larger and in the correct aspect ratio of the screen. Then shrink the image to 1024 X 1024. It'll look funny in the imaging program but then when you load it in Blitz it'll look right.

Makepool(Posted 2004) [#3]
Weeeell 1024 has never worked on mine, promise ya, it draws random noise down the sides of the texture. Anyway, reducing even 800 x 600 to 1024(if it were to work which it won't) that will give the image a very blurred look.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#4]
Oh ... Voodoo Banshee card! Yeah that won't work with 1024 X 1024 texture! You could do it with smaller ones ... just make sure they're power of 2 I guess they won't look so good. You could probably also make a 2D routine. If you draw the images at relatively increasing and decreasing frequencies you could get some form of alpha.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#5]
Couldn't you do a LightColor command with negative numbers to make things darker and then brighter?

Or do you need one image to darken as the other brightens at the same time?

John Blackledge(Posted 2004) [#6]
'I thought about rendering both images to a flat mesh like a sprite and fading the alpha on one to reveal the other '
I've done this for intro screens, but the images end up slightly blurred, and when you replace the last with the actual bmp for clarity there' a noticeable visual blip.
For changing 3D scenes, I ended up 'childing' a black cube to the camera whose alpha lightens to reveal the new scene.
It's... acceptable.

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#7]
what about rendering two cameras positions?

on each level make a mock up of the starting point of the next level, and fade them?

EG.
position camera,1,1,1
; do fading bit
position camera,1,-200,1 ; this is off the current level
; do fading bit

renderworld()

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2004) [#8]
This would all be fixed with a cameraalpha command.